Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School aaaaaargh!!

(6 Posts)
debs40 Mon 07-Sep-09 11:01:59

Hi

DS is not happy going to school. He's 6 (ASD of some sort) and in a class where there are loads of new children, two new teachers and a new TA.

I had to go in today with my 3 year old and sit with him until he settled a bit and he was shouting 'mummy, mummy, don't go' as I left sad.

He is really worried about new people, having someone to play with, not knowing if he will be told off for doing something he didn't realise was wrong. It's just the unpredictability of it all.

I am going to try and work on a strategy with the teachers. Any ideas????

He doesn't have any additional help or anything at the moment. He's still undergoing assessment and I think because he generally seems quiet and managing, they just assume he'll be ok. Until there is a change and we get this sad

5inthebed Mon 07-Sep-09 13:46:42

sad Poor you.

Would it work if they allowed your DS to go into the class after the others have arrived and settled, so that there is not too much noise and people? Could the teacher maybe "buddy" him up with someone who knows him, a familiar child perhaps or one of the TA's.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 07-Sep-09 14:31:31

debs40

Poor soul. Feel for you both. Y1 can be hard.

You can still apply for a Statement even if you do not as yet have a DX. I would seriously consider doing this asap. You do not need school to do it and you can make the application yourself.

Can the TA in this class sit near your son and make observations as well?. I would get them all involved in this process including the Senco (who should be working with you now). I would also establish exactly what experience they have had in working with children on the autistic spectrum.

ommmward Mon 07-Sep-09 20:06:20

Do you have to send him to school for childcare reasons? If not, maybe pull him out of school for a year or two till he's more confident to be left alone? There are LOTS of HEers with SN children.

ommmward Mon 07-Sep-09 20:07:34

sorry - don't mean to go in guns ablazing - assuming other posters will have within-school coping tips so just offering an off-the-wall alternative

debs40 Mon 07-Sep-09 21:38:01

ommmward - not so off the wall grin. It has certainly crossed my mind!

He seemed to be happier today. The teachers really tried to get him playing and give him a structure and he was so happy to tell me about the routine they'd put on the white board - just like home!

Teachers are happy for me to help him at the start of the day too.

I will be keeping a careful eye on it and see if things calm down.

Thanks guys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now