Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

VB Mapp - where to get it from, and is it true you shouldn't do it yourself on your own child?

(9 Posts)
AngryWasp Sun 06-Sep-09 19:03:34

Sorry, - it's me with the questions again.

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 06-Sep-09 19:12:38

I bought it online and think it's bollocks you shouldn't do it on your own child (I did) as long as you are honest as possible with yourself. NB - I did not do it word for word, 150 repetitions in 10 secs etc, but just took an educated guess on a lot of stuff on the grounds that life's too short. Other mums I know paid tutors to do those 100s of repetitions and tbh I think that is a big lot of money to spend when you can do it yourself.It was £70 online, but I think worth it.

AngryWasp Sun 06-Sep-09 19:19:17

Thanks, but I can't find it online anywhere, except from the US.

cyberseraphim Mon 07-Sep-09 08:22:05

I bought it online - sometimes youu can get cheaper copies on Amazon. I think it is an excellent guide to speech developmment. I am sure you can do it yourself if you use some common sense. I don't use it as a 'bible' though just a rough guide.

AngryWasp Mon 07-Sep-09 09:04:27

Grrrr, this is so frustrating. It seems like the ONLY online shop I can get it from is the US and I'll have to pay around £30 shipping and wait forever! Surely SOMEONE in the UK must distribute it?

None at Amazon sad

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 07-Sep-09 11:18:38

If you want AW I can post you both books and you can photocopy them, though it is a pain as it's a perfect bound book so you have to keep folding it over and it does run to hundreds of pages. But if you can be bothered I can happily do it, if you could return it fairly promptly, like over 2 weeks or something? I got it on line from the US and yes it is v expensive but I'm sure I didn't pay £30.

mum2fredandpudding Mon 07-Sep-09 14:21:48

got mine from the different learning website (US), cost £30 but worth it. I absolutely do it myself, it is very self-explanitory.

it will be an excellent tool in helping us get funding down the track.

AngryWasp Mon 07-Sep-09 14:37:41

sickof (I want your name sad) Thank you for the offer, but I don't think I have that kind of spare time at the moment. I'll put it on DH's credit card tonight and order it from the US. Just thought there might have been an easier solution.

moondog Mon 07-Sep-09 15:08:26

Get it from Sundberg's site. He's the author.
Here
Useful resource too.
(I heard him speak when at ABA conference and he was very excited by my colleague's research.)

We love him.

I wouldn't do it on your own child, primarily because if you are fighting for provision based on it, the case is weakened if it is done by parents.It's not a professional approach (althoguh sometimes obviously needs must.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now