Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Having a bad Sunday Morning

(13 Posts)
HelensMelons Sun 06-Sep-09 09:18:13

Don't really know where to start this morning.

DS2 has a dx of asd but got a dx recently of adhd and didn't really realise how much of his difficulties (apart from s&L) were attributed to the adhd rather than the asd.

I dunno, I feel that all I do is shout at him - when he is on the medication he is a much quieter child but off it - well, I don't think I also realised how much stress he puts me under. I feel like such a bad mummy and that I am really going to affect his confidence because his behaviour drives me round the bend.

This morning was the final straw - I thought he was playing nicely at the sink with his dinosaurs and I went in to check that the place hadn't become the niagra falls and all i could smell was poo. He had poo in the washing up bowl and poo in the sink - along with the dishes/dinosaurs/dishcloths. I'm afraid he's up in his room because I'm so cross I can't even look at him.

DS1 (nt) broke his arm on friday as I collected him from school - I feel that I need a break.

Sorry, rant over.

bubblagirl Sun 06-Sep-09 09:32:51

im so sorry your finding it hard at the moment i forget how old your ds is? i offer you large cup of coffee and big hugs i have no wise words im afraid

streakybacon Sun 06-Sep-09 09:42:41

<DS2 has a dx of asd but got a dx recently of adhd and didn't really realise how much of his difficulties (apart from s&L) were attributed to the adhd rather than the asd.>

... or even attributed to being a small child wink.

He most certainly won't realise how much stress you're under, children rarely do and the ASD/ADHD won't make it any clearer. Perhaps you're expecting a response from him that he's too young to give.

It might help to focus on what is typical for his age and what can be part of his dx. Also how much supervision he needs before he does something that makes you want to tear your hair out. You have to be realistic.

Perhaps DS2 has noticed you giving more attention to DS1 with his broken arm and is looking for a way of getting you to notice him?

You sound pretty stressed, which isn't surprising. Try to get a few minutes to yourself to breathe and get yourself together.

HelensMelons Sun 06-Sep-09 10:08:42

- he is 8.

DP is working all weekend (again!) and I think he misses him too. Starting back at school and all that!

I am just about to go and make that coffee now bubbla.

Thank you ladies x

bubblagirl Sun 06-Sep-09 14:35:19

i really hope the rest of the day goes ok for you xx

debs40 Sun 06-Sep-09 14:44:23

Hope the day has got better. We've been trying out a white board where we write our things to do each day, even at the weekend.

I don't know if that's any use to you but it really seems to help DS.

Horrible to be on your own with the kids after the shock of your other son breaking his arm. That can't have been nice.

HelensMelons Sun 06-Sep-09 16:13:29

Thanks Bubbla and Debs

It's been a pretty dreadful day so far but my mum is here atm and she is giving me a hand which I am very grateful for.

Ds1's arm is sore and he will be seen at Orthopaedics on friday to see if it has healed the way they want it to otherwise he has to have a small operation. So I hope it will be ok.

A white board might help actually - it's worth a try.

bubblagirl Sun 06-Sep-09 17:55:19

i am so glad you have some help so hopefully your day will feel less stressful

do you get much you time as i find i can deal with ds easier if i get some me time other wise i find it hard work and just so frustrating luckily he was an angel by one day on holiday and it was just me and him

i hope ds1's arm heals soon

magso Sun 06-Sep-09 20:48:41

HelensMelens I can sympathise! Ds has a thing for playing with the most unsuitable substances too- though recently he's moved on from poo to spit! Sensory thing I suppose. Ds (9 ASD/ADHD/LD)can really wind me up - he has a talent for it. The combination of ASD/ADHD is particularly difficult IMHO! We now medicate ds 7/7 ( having medication breaks in holidays if dh is around) and it has helped us all - not least ds- he really does not like the trouble his inability to think ahead brings him. Dh is away. I have just shouted 'Bed Now'in my 'dragon voice' - I think he got the message!
I hope ds2 arm is healing well.

HelensMelons Sun 06-Sep-09 21:05:41

I am thinking that he needs his meds upped a little and will maybe make some changes this coming week. I am scared that he will jump on Ds1's arm and make it worse.

Everyone is in bed now - thank goodness. My 'dragon voice' is hoarse.

Thanks bubbla and magso x

PipinJo Sun 06-Sep-09 22:46:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mysonben Sun 06-Sep-09 23:08:16

I'm sorry you re having a bad time atm. Hope tomorrow is better smile

HelensMelons Mon 07-Sep-09 16:35:14

thanks Pipjo and mysonben

Things are a bit more settled today, ds2 has enjoyed the structure of school and ds1 with his broken arm may be going back to school tomorrow, dd3 has a bad cough/temperature so she may be off school tomorrow!

So, today, has been better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now