Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

HUGE Proud mum moment :)

(24 Posts)
PipinJo Sat 05-Sep-09 22:32:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HelensMelons Sat 05-Sep-09 23:00:45

Well done your DS!

PipinJo Sat 05-Sep-09 23:48:26

Phoenix4725 Sun 06-Sep-09 06:22:37

well done your D--D

lou031205 Sun 06-Sep-09 08:00:11

Wow!!!

PipinJo Sun 06-Sep-09 11:27:30

moondog Sun 06-Sep-09 18:59:02

That's FANTASTIC!!
Did you use a task analysis approach to this?
Very interested in how you approached and suceeded.

PipinJo Sun 06-Sep-09 21:55:12

moondog Sun 06-Sep-09 21:58:54

Brilliant.
I do a lot of TA using TAGteach which works superbly.

Had great success with shoelace tying, sporting stuff, sorting numbers by order, sitting up straight. You name it, it can be tagged!

PipinJo Sun 06-Sep-09 22:49:23

moondog Sun 06-Sep-09 22:55:45

Youtube is a good place to start for RL scenarios. Make sure you go t owebsite then and check it out and understand how it works though.

I've a powerpoint presentation if you are interesated after checking it out.

PipinJo Mon 07-Sep-09 00:01:50

lingle Mon 07-Sep-09 10:13:27

many congratulations pipin.

I've love to get some tips from you as DS2 can't pedal (no big deal of course but it's all about confidence isn't it?).

He can just about go downstairs one foot at a time now and he can now scoot fast.

do you think finding a kid's exercise bike (like the "mount" you mentioned) would be feasible as a way to let him figure it out one thing at a time?

PipinJo Mon 07-Sep-09 11:43:54

moondog Mon 07-Sep-09 14:53:39

It is a bit Pipin.
The thing is through, the tag acts as a reinforcer in itself. You don't need a primary one all the time for some kids as the 'click' is reinforcing enough because it delievers the neutral info of

'Yep, that's right' at frequent intervals.

It avoinds the mixing of praise correction and information that language often overloads a child learning a new skill with and just supplies the information so allowing them to focus with a clear head as it were.

Yes, always problems! I know. Me too.
Obviously the Tag is faded over time as skill mastered.

I'll send you my Powerpoint notes from my training..

PipinJo Mon 07-Sep-09 17:02:01

lingle Mon 07-Sep-09 19:50:06

Thanks pipin - it never occurred to me to do something so simple!!!

DS2 scooted in the same way as your son till very recently. I left it for a good few months after previous failures. Then I stood a foot in front of the scooter, held out my arms and said "don't scoot into me!!!!!". So DS2 felt safe using it because he knew he'd crash into me.

So you can imagine the rest... stepping further back... then saying "don't crash into the wall" then falling about laughing when he did.

And for steering it was me running backwards in front of him doing exagerrated jumps and skips(good exercise) saying "oh no you're trying to catch me! don't hit me!!!"

So basically making him laugh so much he forgot his anxiety.

He scooted half a mile to school today and in July he couldn't do it at all!

PipinJo Mon 07-Sep-09 21:15:13

moondog Mon 07-Sep-09 23:40:45

Pipin, God no! I wish my IT skills were that good.That's from the presenatation I attended in States. Trainer very kindly sent it on.

Look at Youtube clips, I urge you. Will link.

Yes, you understand exactly with point about ds trying to listen and someone distracting.

We tag for lots of things (people I work with!)on kis and on each other.Used very successfully with a colleague who slouches (with her permission). Instead of the nagging her dh did for years to no avail, we merely tag when she sits up straight. Transformed her behaviour (and generalised) in about 2 days!

moondog Mon 07-Sep-09 23:42:04

Skipping

moondog Mon 07-Sep-09 23:43:22

Letter formation (This video shows Theresa whose presenation I attended. She uses it a lot with gymnasts, being a gymnast herself. Amazing woman.)

tingler Sun 20-Sep-09 22:21:40

Hi Pipinjo if you are around. have namechanged (old name rhymes with "mingle"). Just wanted to thank you again for sharing the tips on pedalling.

I finally got DH to create our "mount" today. Put the bike on it, DS2 got on the bike and looked a bit hesitant. So I asked him "how many pedals" he could do (he can never resist the chance to count!) and he soon built it up to 100! It was so lovely to see him doing it.

So, hmmmm <dons Sherlock hat>. Now we know we can physically pedal if he isn't thinking about balance and steering as well. I guess it's just practice now - he wanted to cycle to the neighbour's house which is so exciting!

I'll try to build up to two minutes pedalling on the "exercise bike" then try to find somewhere flat (not easy where we live) to practice.

btw, anyone got any tips on getting him to wear a cycle helmet?

moondog Sun 20-Sep-09 23:20:01

Timetimer on 5 mins. Tell hi if he wears it for thistime, sometihng nice will happen (tell him what obviously).
Do it for a week every day.Next week do 10 mins.
So on and so on.

tingler Mon 21-Sep-09 08:42:34

oh thanks that's good advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now