Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Have requested a statutory assessment. Any tips...

(8 Posts)
lou031205 Fri 04-Sep-09 21:04:07

...for the parental submission?

lou031205 Sat 05-Sep-09 16:23:48

There must be someone out there....

daisy5678 Sat 05-Sep-09 16:48:38

Sorry, missed this!

A good idea would be to look at this www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs/819387-Statutory-Assessment-Parent-Advice-ABA

as she's doing it too!

I would say the main tips are to be very clear about what the dc's needs are and what provision is needed to make sure that those needs are met. Another thing to add is what would happen if the provision that you're asking for wasn't met (mine was littered with 'if J did not have full time 1:1 support, it would be dangerous for himself and others as he would run off/ kick/ bite etc.)

I peppered mine with quotations from other professionals' reports to back up what I was saying (as the LEA, unfortunately, tends to ignore parental advice as biased).

Good luck!

grumpyoldeeyore Sat 05-Sep-09 20:00:59

Be prepared for them to cherry pick anything you say to show your child will fit the support they want to put in ie they decide what they want to give you and then pick out the evidence you have put which fits whilst ignoring the rest. So i put that DS had been ahead pre regression and seemed bright but had made no progress since regression and needed Special Nursery / ABA and they read DS is too bright for SS and will obviously be in mainstream, even thought we don't know if his cognitive function has survived the regression yet! So I would say stick to the facts and keep it brief - if you look at IPSEA website they have a pack for how to appeal if your request is refused (as ours has been) and its useful for seeing what info to put in to start with. The most important thing to show is lack of progress with what has been done to date - if nothing has been done you need to show needs are severe and complex that a statement is probably necessary without exhausting Action Plus in mainstream.

PipinJo Sat 05-Sep-09 20:11:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lou031205 Sat 05-Sep-09 20:33:08

OK, so I am both stating the case for assessment and the eventual statement that of course will hmm be deemed necessary?

DD1 is on Early Years Action Plus at the mo, with enhanced funding because they couldn't cope with only 1.5 hrs per session 1:1 covered.

Do I need to try and show EYAP isn't enough, or say that if current provision isn't continued into primary it will be catastrophic? She has been on EYAP with full 1:1 for exactly a year now, and still needs full 1:1, can't cope with structured parts of sessions, needs assistance to join activities, etc.

Do I need to suggest whether MS/SS is more appropriate in my view?

PipinJo Sat 05-Sep-09 22:05:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lou031205 Tue 08-Sep-09 19:28:04

Thank you all. Have today posted a 4 page submission with 18 supporting documents wink. I have concluded that in either setting DD will need extensive support, and that her complex needs cannot be truly identified without assessment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now