Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Motability car - how strict are they about scratches?

(16 Posts)
ChopsTheDuck Fri 04-Sep-09 12:43:42

Somebody has scratched my car. sadangry

Two scratches, looks like sharp ended metal has been dragged along it going down on the rear wing and corner of the bumper. Very thin, but about 12" long and completely through the paint in one part.

D'y reckon i will have to get it fixed?

NeverLeapfrogOverAUnicorn Fri 04-Sep-09 12:53:09

can you not just get the insurance to do it? Insurance is included in the package. Report it as done in the supermarket. I know you don't know that it was done there, but you didn't do it so I don't see it as too fraudulent grin

ChopsTheDuck Fri 04-Sep-09 13:18:33

Yeah, I think that is how it would work anyway, I'd have to make a claim. Just £75 I didn't really need to have to find right now, especially as it wasn't my fault. sad

MumOfThreeMonkeys Fri 04-Sep-09 13:23:25

hi, i have had a mobility car for 11 years- they are not strict at all about scratches, they will put it down to genral wear and tear. if i was you i would just leave it. if you make a claim on the insurance you will lose out on your £200 at the end of the 3 yrs.

ChopsTheDuck Fri 04-Sep-09 13:31:01

omg, I didn't know the insurance had to be clean too for the £200.
Thankyou, I am relieved about that.

NeverLeapfrogOverAUnicorn Fri 04-Sep-09 13:34:42

I didn't know about the £200 at all! What's that about?

MumOfThreeMonkeys Fri 04-Sep-09 13:34:47

yeah but they really wont be bothered about a few scratches after 3 yrs- what car is not scratched after 3 yrs never mind one used by a disabled person with wheelchairs and stuff.

MumOfThreeMonkeys Fri 04-Sep-09 13:35:51

you get £200 if you leave the car back in resonable condition and no insurance claims after 3 yrs!

2shoes Fri 04-Sep-09 13:36:14

you have to report it, espicialy if it goes through the paint.
ds scratched ours by accident yonks ago, I said it happened in a car park.

MumOfThreeMonkeys Fri 04-Sep-09 13:40:20

must depend on whos making the final inspection , i left a car back with a dent in the rear bumper and 3 weeks later got a cheque for £200- i personally would not say a word and wait and see if they say it to you at the final inspection, if they do you can still claim it on the insurance

ChopsTheDuck Fri 04-Sep-09 13:44:38

I think it was probably a kid with a scooter or bike crashed into it on the school run. It might have been at tescos.

My boot is scratched to hell from ds's wheelchair. Citroen plastics are so cheap they scratch really easy. Apparently scratches from a wheelchair are ok though. I do put a blanket over it now.

glitteryb6 Fri 04-Sep-09 14:19:07

i drove my citroen into our gates umpteen times, gouging big deep lines out of both wheel arches, reported it but they were happy for me not to get the car fixed even though it was down to the bare metal, the cars go straight to auction anyway.
you do lose your good condition bonus but you lose it anyway if you make a claim plus youre £75 down for the excess as well, so its really a matter of choice whether you want to get it fixed or drive about in a scratched car...i chose the cheaper option! grin

ChopsTheDuck Fri 04-Sep-09 14:59:41

oh I'll stick with the scratches! grin

Another (probably stupid) question while we are sort of on the topic. It is ok for me to use ds's blue badge when I am picking him up/dropping him off isn't it?

New restrictions on parking near the school have made it a nightmare parking, and I'm terrified I'm gonna get pounced on for using his blue badge when he isn't actually there becuase I've dropped him or going to pick him.

I may resort to pushing him to school when he gets new chair.

anonandlikeit Fri 04-Sep-09 17:46:21

I had this recently when ds2 opened the door on to another (moving) car.
The insurance paid up on the other car (3rd party) BUT as long as I was happy that the damage to my car was only minimal cosmetic damage I did not have to pay any excess & they have logged my scrathces as reported so I won't get in to trouble.

So you can log the damage but tell them youa re happy NOT to have them repaired & you don't have to pay the excess & are not breaking any rules.

anonandlikeit Fri 04-Sep-09 17:48:03

You cannot use it on Zig zag yellow lines out side schools but most standard yellow lines are OK.
If youa r eunsure just give your local councila call & they will advise.

glitteryb6 Fri 04-Sep-09 20:29:16

i use ds's badge and park in a disabled space if i'm going to pick him up if he's been out with my mum, had a few looks (usually from old folk...why is that?) but they dont say anything when a few minutes later i appear with boy in a wheelchair!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now