Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone with a child on gluten free diet make their own bread?

(14 Posts)
waitingforgodot Fri 04-Sep-09 10:59:08

I am thinking about buying a bread maker. How easy is it to make gf bread? Anyone?

sodit Fri 04-Sep-09 11:04:45

i do, its quite easy i have a book by carolyn humphries (sp). its not that great but it beats spending loads. i know you can get models with gf options i had my breadmaker from ages ago but if i ever 'upgrade' think i will egt one of those though.

waitingforgodot Fri 04-Sep-09 11:08:00

ooh I didn't know that. Will go and google. thanks!

sodit Fri 04-Sep-09 11:40:11

let us know how you get on i might be tempted to claim mine has been broken worn out by use

HairyMaclary Fri 04-Sep-09 15:59:42

I do - loads of diff types in a panasonic SD225 breadmaker, it's fab! need to go but will come back later ifyou want more info.

moondog Fri 04-Sep-09 16:01:15

I'm not doing gluten free diet but a really good alternTIVE IS CORNBREAD.mY KIDS LOVE IT AND IT IS VERY EASY to make. i do about a batch a week.

Nyrrem Fri 04-Sep-09 16:16:28

I know this sounds a bit strange, but my Mum is a coeliac and a member of their society. At one of their get togethers someone recommended putting half an inch of courgette (skinned and liquidised) in with the bread recipe as it helps the bread stay moist. She always does this now, as it really works.

streakybacon Fri 04-Sep-09 16:47:07

Ds isn't on the gf diet any more but I used to make his bread when he was. I used a Panasonic bread maker and it was excellent. I messed about with a few recipes and came up with seed bread that worked really well (I think the original came from MN and I adapted it). I can send the recipe if you want to try it.

jasdox Fri 04-Sep-09 17:34:37

I have a panasonic SD-253, and its fab, have fresh bread ready for the morning and the kitchen smells lovely. about 5min to make and 2-5 hrs to bake (depending on what loaf). In the recipe book they have gluten free ones. I also add quinoa flour and tastes slightly nutty.

waitingforgodot Fri 04-Sep-09 18:52:44

The panasonic breadmaker sounds like a winner then?
Streakybacon-can you send me the recipe please?
Ditto the recipe for corn bread if possible please moondog.
HairyMcLary-do you make gf bread in your breadmaker?
Nyrrem-thats interesting. thanks for the tip!

HairyMaclary Sat 05-Sep-09 07:20:09

Hi, I make a basic gf bread with the Doves Farm flour and then add lots of different bits, the recipe book has sundried tomato and parmesan which is lovely but no good if you are cf also! Also do dried fruit in there, it is quite cakey as it has 2 eggs in it but it is so so so much better than any gf bread I have bought.

streakybacon Sat 05-Sep-09 07:36:55

G/F GRAIN BREAD

500 mls warm water and goat’s milk (50/50)
3 medium eggs at room temperature
1 ½ oz goat’s butter rubbed into dry ingredients
1 tsp wine vinegar
70g tapioca flour
70g gram (chick pea) flour
280g brown rice flour
4 tbsp of grain mix - a mix to your own taste eg poppy, chopped sunflower and pumpkin and linseed
1 tbsp xanthan gum
1 ½ - 2 tbsp muscovado sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
1 sachet yeast
2 tbsp quinoa flakes
1 tsp baking powder

Place the yeast in the bottom of the bread pan followed by the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients

Choose basic 1kg loaf setting and dark crust. You may need to check the mix a few times before the bake programme begins to ensure that the ingredients are fully mixed and not sticking to the side of the pan.

Just before the bake programme begins, sprinkle the surface with more seeds of your choice.

Continue the programme, remove from the bread maker as soon as it is cooked and allow to cool thoroughly before cutting.

You don't have to use goat's milk/butter but I think I used it because of lower casein levels (it's a long time ago now).

streakybacon Sat 05-Sep-09 07:37:38

PS: You can get xanthan gum on prescription from your gp. Gives elasticity.

sodit Sat 05-Sep-09 15:15:52

cornbread recipe too please grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now