Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

saying things correctly

(8 Posts)
misdee Wed 01-Jun-05 12:36:29

was in pizza hut yesterday with the girls. one of the waitresses went to shut the blinds but the beaded pull was missing. she said' oh its a simple bloke who comes in ,always stealing my beads'. she seemed like she knew the bloke and wasnt too bothered by the missing beads. but i thought 'simple' wasnt the right word to use. but if she didnt know his diagnosis, how else could she have phrased it?

anniebear Wed 01-Jun-05 12:38:56

I would say 'learning difficulties'

I hate hearing people say 'simple' or 'not quite all there'

Always think somebody could refer to Ellie as that when she is older.

It wasn't a nice way to phrase it

Thomcat Wed 01-Jun-05 12:50:07

She needn't have reffered to him in any way other than 'one of my customers' tbh but if she had to refer to him in more detail then a customer with learning difficultires or a customer with special needs would have been better.

anniebear Wed 01-Jun-05 12:53:01

I suppose they have lots of different names for regular customers!!

But shouldn't have called him simple, especially as other customers could hear

coppertop Wed 01-Jun-05 13:19:28

I think that she should perhaps have just said "one of my customers". If anyone had commented on this being an odd thing to do (taking the beads) she could then say that he had learning difficulties/special needs.

geekgrrl Wed 01-Jun-05 14:19:28

how do you all feel about 'simple simon' (you know, the one who asks for a pie). It always makes me cringe a little bit now when I come across it in just about every nursery rhyme book.... not sure whether to skip it or not.

anniebear Wed 01-Jun-05 14:25:16

Never given it a second thought to be honest, just another Nursey rhyme!

a lot of Nursery rhmyes are old and so they get changed nowadays. Humpty has a second verse so he can be put back together!!

The old Woman can't scold her children anymore!!

Am sure theres more??!!!

Can see what your saying, but I have never even thought about that one!!!

Thomcat Wed 01-Jun-05 14:25:20

geekgrl, I wouldn't bat an eyelid at it tbh, it's a really old rhyme and doesn't mean that simon had SN, could be seen as simon doing simple, as in easy to follow, things that children can copy!!! Grabbing at straws to explain it away! Still, it doesn't bother me, all nursery rhymes and fairy talkes are horrible and outdated. I read Rumplestiltskin to l the other day and was horrified at what a nasty story it is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now