Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Such a lovely programme

(4 Posts)
LollipopViolet Wed 02-Sep-09 12:45:47

Was watching a programme on the Community channel last night. It was called "Let's go Dancing on Ice" and featured 3 children/teens, each with a disability, and showed them meeting the stars etc the usual. What got me was they then had a skating lesson with one of the judges. I used to skate a lot myself (don't have a rink near enough now ) and it struck a chord with me. Skating is one of the most universal sports there is.

In the programme, there was a girl of 8 with cp, in her electric wheelchair, a lad of 16 with AS and a girl of 13 with a squint (I had one, had it corrected) other sight problems and dyspraxia. The guy with AS really impressed everyone, he'd been skating for 4 years. The visually impaired girl really struck a chord with me. I remember learning to skate and how hard it was, so it was great to see.

But just seeing how the teaching was adapted for each, and how each excelled and enjoyed it in their own way made me realise that I love skating because, on the ice, I'm free. I don't have to tell people I don't see well, I can glide around just like anybody else.

2shoes Wed 02-Sep-09 15:00:55

oh I wish I had seen that

LollipopViolet Wed 02-Sep-09 16:04:26

I'll see if it's on youtube or somewhere for you 2shoes. It was lovely, what I especially liked was that each child introduced themselves and said as much or as little about their disability as they wanted to. There was mention of charities and things to, 2 of which I'd never heard of, so it was a good learning programme for me.

Aha! After a quick search for the title, it's available to watch in full, online.

http://www.communitychannel.org/index.php?option=com_rnvideoarchive&task=view&vidclip=719 &Itemid=139

That's the link, just press play

LollipopViolet Wed 02-Sep-09 16:06:53

Try again shall I?

www.communitychannel.org/index.php?option=com_rnvideoarchive&task=view&vidclip=719&Itemid=139

(Not used to having to do the brackets lol)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now