Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Tics and stammering or not? - can someone explain

(5 Posts)
mummytopebs Tue 01-Sep-09 22:48:26

DD age 4 is possible asd, emotional problems, sensory problems, anxiety problems. Over the last 4 weeks she seems to have started ticking or stammering,but not sure if that is what you would class it as, as she is not doing it constantly just around 5 times a day.eg

She wil repeat the first couple of words of a sentence ie can i, can i ,can i can i do this

and she will repeat the last letter of words ie like ke ke ke ke

Is this ticking? and if it is will it get worse?

mummytopebs Wed 02-Sep-09 11:32:33

Bummping for me anyone?

deaddei Wed 02-Sep-09 12:40:11

Could be ocd- dd does this.
Definitely worth mentioning to dr- we thought of Tourettes with the tics, but it's part of ocd. It goes away, but does return, sometimes different ones.

mimsum Wed 02-Sep-09 14:03:20

it sounds like echolalia, which is a kind of verbal tic

it may get worse, it may stay the same, most probably it'll just disappear - to be replaced by something else

it could also be a perfectionism thing - when ds1 was about 4 it could take him ages to get through a sentence cos he'd keep stopping and starting again until he'd got it just right

anonandlikeit Wed 02-Sep-09 18:07:08

DS2 (age 6) does this he gets stuck on one word or part of a word in a sentence.
According to his SALT its part of the problem with his verbal/metal processing & he has to process each word as it comes out, nothing flows IYKWIM.
It has got slightly better & the SALT has given us soem processing & structuring exercises.
Could it be soemthing similar?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now