Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Bizarre conversations with DS 5 that are getting worse!!

(6 Posts)
claw3 Fri 28-Aug-09 16:00:37

Just got back from Asda, while there son wrapped his arms and legs around the pole where you put your trolley back and said 'look at me, do i like a sloth' he then began walking VERY slowly back to the car,like a sloth. I said 'can you walk very fast like a cheetah' to hurry him along a little.

So conversation was going well up to this point.

Sat in the car he then tells me he can walk like a cocklin. I tell him i have never heard of one of these before, does it look like a chicken. He replied 'no it looks a like a karachokin.

He then went on to talk about in great detail about cocklins and karachokins and make up further words, until he was making no sense at all.

He does this every day and its getting to the point where about half of our conversations are like this. I try to change the subject or distract him and bring him back to reality, but it just doesnt work and he rambles on endlessly about things that didnt happen or make sense.

Im assuming that he is not the only child to do this, how do or would you handle this?

daisy5678 Fri 28-Aug-09 20:36:19

Hmmm...I'd probably be so pleased by the enthusiasm that I'd harness it and get him to draw/ write about the cocklins and karachokins! But that's probably wrong and just because I would love J to show some creative/ imaginative enthusiasm!

logi Fri 28-Aug-09 23:22:47

My son who is 5 always makes up words and is very serious when using them,we go along with him but im not sure if its the right thing to do but i dont like the idea of constantly telling him theres no such word...and when we have tried to correct him hes so persistant about his lastest new word .

claw3 Sat 29-Aug-09 10:15:10

Givememoresleep - He is extremely imaginative, he also had an imaginary friend too who he talks to and about endlessly. I dont want to curb his imaginative side, but socially it is affecting him. Its becoming quite difficult to have a meaningful conversation with him, he has trouble staying on topic and often goes off into his own world of made up words etc and others find it hard to understand him. Kids in school call him 'weirdo' (he is quite proud of this and tells everyone i am a weirdo, he obviously doesnt know what it means!)

Logi - My ds is exactly the same, i try to change the subject, but this doesnt deter him, he talks endlessly about it and fails to notice when others have lost interest or dont understand.

daisy5678 Sat 29-Aug-09 10:22:17

I know, Claw - sorry, I was being flippant. I can imagine that it does affect him socially. I would focus on working with him on how to stay on topic rather than focusing on not making up stuff, iyswim. Turn-taking games etc. - Moondog may have more ideas.

claw3 Sat 29-Aug-09 10:46:13

I find he is trying to draw me into his imaginary world more and more. For example he told me George's dad was coming to our house because it was his birthday and we were having a party for him. Pretend cake, pretend presents, the works. I sat here singing happy birthday dear Georges dad, happy birthday to you!! George has to play snake and ladders with us too.

Ive told him that George is his imaginary friend and that means only he can see him, should i be joining in or refuse?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now