Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Fish Oils question

(17 Posts)
ChopsTheDuck Fri 28-Aug-09 09:39:27

I was reading another thread, didn't want to hijack, but can I ask if anyone who has tried them thinks they might help with a NT child?

Dt2 is incredibly lively, to the point where both sides of our family think there is something 'wrong'. He can't sit still, flaps constantly, runs aroudn like the tasmanian devil all day, gets irresistable urges to do things he shouldn't and jsut can't seem to help himself, gets obsessions, doesn't sleep. He is intolerant to aspartime, etc - we'd have to peel him off the ceiling if he gets hold of them.

I don't think he has sn, I think it is just his character, but no amount of discipline seems to help, am I am worried about how he is going to get on at school. The nursery often commented on his liveliness. He also has speech issues, but he is slowly catching up. After fighting so hard to get any help for ds1 who does have sn, I never really reckoned on my chances of getting anywhere with dt2, so have left him to it really. blush

I am wondering if fish oils might calm him down a bit?

MojoLost Fri 28-Aug-09 09:58:56

If you can afford them then I would give them a try. I saw effects very soon on my DS (sn though). Maybe you could buy one box and decide weather to continue. They cannot do any harm as far as I know, so worth trying.

ICANDOTHAT Fri 28-Aug-09 10:40:45

I would def give them a go. I have 2 ds ... one NT, the other ADHD. I have seen significant improvements in both their concentration levels and 'energy' levels ie calmer and more focused. DS1 is in his teens now, so doesn't really need them anymore, but ds2 (ADHD) has them daily and I swear by them. There are many kinds on the market. I use EyeQ and Eskimo Kids (both avail at Tesco). Also try Well Kids vitamins - contain Zinc etc which also help with concentration and hyper activity. The diet issue is massive in our house. I have become an expert at reading labels on food packaging and even items such as bread and bacon have preservatives in that can affect a child's behaviour - so scary. Good luck smile

amberflower Fri 28-Aug-09 17:51:18

I also use fish oils - the eye q strawberry chews as recommended by bubblagirls - they are great, though expensive. I chose eye q because the other brands on the market all seem to be orange flavoured, and DS will not touch anything orange, eye q seem to be the only strawberry ones.

I don't have behaviour issues as such with my DS - he has an informal aspergers DX but the main issues are poor fine motor skills and the tendency to withdraw socially and not concentrate/tune out in the classroom. We have no issues at home, but obviously I was concerned about the school problems, so thought I'd give them a go. Within 2 weeks of starting him on the fish oils his teacher was commenting about the improvement in his concentration levels etc. I've also noticed a huge improvement in his fine motor skills - not sure I can attribute this directly to the fish oils but DS is definitely a lot more willing to sit and do writing, colouring, cutting etc - all the stuff he needs to practise - since going on them.

So I am a convert grin

I would buy the smallest bottle initially and give them a try to see what the reaction is. My DS won't chew / swallow the actual capsule but I cut the end of each one and squeeze the 'strawberry juice' (as he calls it) onto a medicine spoon and he takes it fine.

If your DS gets on with them, you can then 'stock up' - my best advice would be to buy them from Boots when they've got a 3 for 2 on! They are eye wateringly expensive but I got 3 of the biggest bottles and ended up saving loads. Plus you can get advantage card points on them too wink

Good luck, fish oils are definitely worth a try.

drlove8 Fri 28-Aug-09 18:58:28

i use fish oils with my kids - SN and NT... it defo helps the kids focus and calm down .... sort of flips a switch in their little brains and helps them listen....
LOVE THE STUFF ! ... couldnt cope live without it ..grin
holland and barrat do the eye q liquid in vanillia and also in orange....we use orange as dd4 loves orange juice...is so easy to sneak it in her juice.wink

ChopsTheDuck Fri 28-Aug-09 20:38:16

Will defo give it a try thanks so much!

I think I'll try the orange first if it is cheaper, because he actually prefers orange. Will go and see if there are any offers about.

He will sit and concentrate on his own terms, which is why I do think that he is NT. Just when he isn't interested that we get the fun and games grin

ICANDOTHAT Sat 29-Aug-09 19:37:45

Ah, the little darlings. My ds2 (ADHD) will sit for hours watching Disney channel or playing on the Wii - gets up to 'no good' when he's idle.

ManicMother7777 Sat 29-Aug-09 20:37:45

www.healthspan.co.uk is very good value. They arrive in about 3 days,

ManicMother7777 Sat 29-Aug-09 20:37:47

www.healthspan.co.uk is very good value. They arrive in about 3 days,

kittymax Sun 30-Aug-09 19:59:26

DS2 has ADHD and when he's been taking his omega oil we've found that he's more compliant and cooperative, and also his mood swings seem to be more stable, ie less ups (bouts of excitement) and less severe downs.

DS2 will concentrate for ages on airfix planes or pokemon cards, or anything he finds interesting. The difficulties with ADHD is that children find it hard to filter out sounds and other stimuli when they are supposed to be concentrating on something else ( getting dressed, drying dishes). So they get distracted, and its hard to stay focussed. I have ADHD too and no matter how much I want to stay focussed, if I hear something outside, I will look towards the sound. If you suspect your child has these problems its best to speak to doctor because I got blamed for all sorts of stuff at school and at home and it wasn't my fault! I wish I'd known i had this problem thats all.

ChopsTheDuck Mon 31-Aug-09 07:26:16

It is a little worrying, because I assumed that since he can concentrate if he wants to, he couldn't have adhd. Like ICANDOTHAT's ds, he will sit if he is playing video games, or he will even sit through a film at the cinema if he likes it. Won't sit for tv at home much, or if he does will fidget and flap a lot.

If the school have problems with him, I will try to get him referred for an MDA. Thankfully he is sleeping better again. We go through phases where he will sleep, and then weeks of being up and down the stairs all evening.

We've started the fish oils, but after buying them, I read that they are supposed to have three times the dosage for the first 6 days. Did everyone else do this? Means the first week would be very expensive. Got the strawberry EyeQ ones as they were a cheap, fairly small pack to start with, and he hates them. grin

I am wondering if they would benefit ds1 again to. End of the hol syndrome - he has now taken to shouting insults at random strangers. <sigh>

Thanks for the link, will check it out.

ICANDOTHAT Tue 01-Sep-09 17:30:08

Chops I 'overdosed' ds2 for first 6 weeks ... try and buy them when on offer. Tescos were doing 3 for 2 recently wink

Barmymummy Tue 01-Sep-09 18:14:50

Sorry to butt in but am thinking of swapping to the eskimo kids fish oils but DS is notorious for not liking medicines. He just about forces the strawberry EyeQ' chews down but its a struggle.

Haven't checked yet but if they do Eskimo in orange flavour - would it be disguised well in orange juice because my DS adores orange juice?!

kittymax Tue 01-Sep-09 20:24:39

I also have ADHD and I tried (years ago) some omega capsules from Boots. I thought they'd help with my memory and help me to concentrate but I could never remember to take them - which my friends thought was hilarious. When I did though, they repeated on me really badly, and every time I burped, I got that fishy oily flavour. I really was vile. I felt like clapping my hands together, making a sealion noise and balancing balls on my nose to entertain the family. I can visibly see the effect the omega has on ds, but I just can't stomach the sprats capsules, so my poor family have to suffer my random, dizzy adhd ways!

KnickKnack Tue 01-Sep-09 20:33:22

barmy...eskimo comes in tutti frutti and orange (tutti frutti is by far their better seller)

Barmymummy Tue 01-Sep-09 20:44:57

Tahnks knick, will give them a go smile

KnickKnack Tue 01-Sep-09 22:13:20

I don't think they can be disguised in OJ very well...the oil doesn't really mix in. I know a few who still do it this way though, and some who mix it into fromage frais/petit filous.
I find it easier to just spoon it into them, then have a drink of orange afterwards if needed, or if you hold their nose they will not taste it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now