Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Blimmin great news - comes in 3s!

(11 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Wed 26-Aug-09 22:01:01

Message withdrawn

feelingbetter Wed 26-Aug-09 22:13:50

grin
Good for you xxx

PipinJo Wed 26-Aug-09 22:14:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 26-Aug-09 22:27:48

Message withdrawn

PipinJo Wed 26-Aug-09 22:56:05

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 26-Aug-09 23:08:28

Message withdrawn

phlebas Wed 26-Aug-09 23:09:42

Pipin, they don't provide a report to anyone unless you ask them to. Their OT & SIT are particularly useful I think. We have their report, CARS & the VB-MAPPP as pre-ABA baselines.

AW that's fabulous news well done!

PipinJo Wed 26-Aug-09 23:14:08

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 26-Aug-09 23:31:30

Message withdrawn

Phoenix4725 Thu 27-Aug-09 06:18:28

Glad things are going well

And i would second Bibic we are going back for our second visit soon ,and inbetween you can always talk to them over the phone for more advice and help .For ds and for me they made a differancegave me more confience that I am doing things right and helped pointed me in direction to carry on doing

phlebas Thu 27-Aug-09 09:33:56

Starlight we didn't specifically say that we were doing ABA (I am v. cautious about discussing it with people as they tend to look shocked & horrified) - I mentioned that we were looking at different educational options & discussed what the consultant had observed (strong demand avoidance, dyspraxia) & his recommendations.

The therapy fits in nicely with ABA, though we're only doing about 14 hrs a week atm. The sensory programme s about 15 minutes x2 & we're fitting it in with other activities (we not doing all of the exercises with him atm because he'd find them too challenging - the oro-motor activities are similar to what we'll be doing with ABA). The OT programme is pretty much covered with a daily trip to the park & a couple of swimming trips a week ... which was also recommended by the ABA consultant, so it is pretty compatible.

The only disagreement was that BIBIC wanted us to keep going with choices (something SALTs also stressed) whereas the ABA recommendation is that we stop as much as possible (we're trying to avoid placing any demands on ds outside of the sessions). We're going to go with the ABA advice.

Both ABA & BIBIC agreed that PECS was totally inappropriate for ds & we should persist with the makaton ... they gave me lots of resources to help. They also agreed that we should be adding more music into the day (slowly as ds really doesn't like singing).

We spoke to another family while we were there who had had BIBIC recommended to them by friends who were doing both BIBIC & ABA, so it does happen.

We enjoyed it - ds loved it & bonded quite well with the therapist, it is good to have feedback on what you're doing (but also gutting to see how his development lags so far behind in some areas). BIBIC's assessment agreed pretty much with ds's VB-MAPP although it was less detailed wrt language.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now