Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Weekend away - good and bad

(22 Posts)
Blossomhill Mon 30-May-05 18:14:04

Well we went to Pontins for a Sun weekend away and it was really good. Perfect for SN kids as there are so many people/kids around that they can just do whatever they want. I actually relaxed for the first time in a long time. The biggy was that we managed to go and have our first ever roast dinner in a cafe and dd was really good.
The bad/upsetting thing was that she literally had her fingers under her ears the whole time. When I mean the whole, it really was. Now dd has always done this but not to this extent. Poor little love managed to stay out until 11pm but refused to come into the disco place as I think the darkness and the loudness (it was so loud) really affected her.
I am not sure what to do about the fingers under the ears as she is doing it all the time and I do find it upsetting. I just think that the whole experience was over-whelming for her.
I just don't know who I need to speak to to help me as she was doing it before we went as well. She has always done it but no where near as often as this. Who do I speak to? Thanks

charliecat Mon 30-May-05 18:16:06

Welcome Back, Glad you have relaxed a wee bit, are you feeling any better?
No suggestions about dd im afraid, but glad you are sounding more upbeat

Blossomhill Mon 30-May-05 18:19:08

Thanks charliecat I have to say I did forget about everything which is very unlike me !

charliecat Mon 30-May-05 18:21:10

Good

Blossomhill Mon 30-May-05 18:22:43

how are you? hope you have had a nice weekend

charliecat Mon 30-May-05 18:24:44

Im fine Just had a BBQ, got a new one and it has taken about 2 and a half hours to get 4 burgers done
How much did the weekend away cost? Is there any great big catch to it?

Blossomhill Mon 30-May-05 18:29:53

charlie - well it was £10 per person, sp £40 for all of us. Accomodation was pretty bad I have to say but as we were hardly in there bearable. It was good for the money as that included all of the site stuuf such as swimming pool, inside play area, big outdoor sand play area. There was just so much for the kids to do. Just means we can afford to go away more. last year we went to IOW for the weekend and again accomodation was basic but ok.
Well at least you know they are def. cooked cc lol Oh I really fancy a bbq now Glad you are okay

charliecat Mon 30-May-05 18:33:20

Bargain then! I have always looked and thought it looked like it was too good to be true and there would be a huge catch. Will look into it next year .

Blossomhill Mon 30-May-05 18:34:25

You should charlie. I think they are well worth the money.
Back to reality now

charliecat Mon 30-May-05 18:35:54

At least its half term on the upside or not

Blossomhill Mon 30-May-05 18:40:58

Well I do get a sort of lie in so that's a bonus Actually I like it when dd is off of school as she is so much happier and calmer. Think dd and ds really need the break tbh as ds has had his SATs and dd just seems a bit stressed so the break will do them both the world of good!

charliecat Mon 30-May-05 18:44:56

Yep, no rushing round at silly times in the morning trying to get 101 things done...im going to get a drink and see what my 2 are up to...its very quiet upstairs

Blossomhill Mon 30-May-05 18:47:02

I know I have to do something. Dh will get the hump if I don't at least look busy. He has cooked lunch, dinner and cleared up
Don't you just know they are up to something when they are quiet!

charliecat Mon 30-May-05 19:32:20

Surprisingly they are colouring in a book together the 7 year old is doing the egdes and the 4 year olds doing the bits in the middle.
Mind you the last time they were so quiet for so long the end result was a full on fight between them that sounded like elephants at war for the 5 seconds I let it go on for!
Are you still here or have you found something to pretend to do?

Jimjams Mon 30-May-05 19:51:36

fingers in the ears are good- she's found a way to cope with the noise. I don't think youy can stop it and to be honest I don't think you should if by doing it she can go into places she otherwise couldn't cope with.

You could buy her ear muffs- or a hat with ear flaps. My friend was very pleased because having discovered ear muffs her (very hfa) dd is now able to access the cinema.

glad the weekend away went well.

Blossomhill Mon 30-May-05 19:57:10

Charlie - just been busying myself Although fit for nothing as so many late nights. Glad that your 2 were doing something constructive
Jimjams - now where can I get some ear muffs from I am grinning to myself picturing dd with a pair of pink fluffy ear muffs. So do you think it is the noise or a combination of sensory overload that makes her do it? That is a general question to anyone that may have the answer, please
It was good to be able to have the roast dinner and I just tried to switch off from the fingers in her ears. The way I see it is it's her way of coping and what harm is she doing?

Jimjams Mon 30-May-05 20:03:13

If she's hypersensitive to sound then she physically won't be able to stand certain noises. If you want her to access noisy places she may have to cover her ears.

like the telephone ds1 can't bear it as soon as it rings he starts screaming and clamps his hands over his ears.

Blossomhill Mon 30-May-05 20:04:44

Did Bibic give you the tape to help with that Jimjams? We have a tape we have to play twice a day to help with dd's sensory problems.

Jimjams Mon 30-May-05 20:06:24

yep but have to say it did bugger all In fact he's got a lot more noise sensitive as he's got older. Probably good, I suspect he's tuning out less.

He's done AIT as well- also did bugger all.

charliecat Mon 30-May-05 20:09:03

And heres some ear muffs on ebay!

Blossomhill Mon 30-May-05 20:15:10

Thanks Charliecat . The monsoon ones were gorgeous but my one worry would be getting her to take them off!!!

Jayzmummy Tue 31-May-05 02:04:49

Glad you ahd a good time away Bloss.....must catch up when I get back.xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: