Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

BIBIC -- can anyone comment on it?

(12 Posts)
Plumbuddle Wed 26-Aug-09 01:31:14

My DS aged 11 is dyspraxic but we do increasingly suspect he has aspergers. It's at such a low level I don't want to go through all the label stuff and all the waits/intrusiveness of the NHS. I saw a couple of mumsnetters recommending BIBIC but I have no idea from looking at the website how quacky or how rigorous it is. Can anyone say more about how it works and whether it is well respected? Thanks everyone.

Phoenix4725 Wed 26-Aug-09 03:37:34

i went with ds in May when we had a sort of dx but no pratical help at all and found they were great for giving a overall help .They looked at wear he was devlopmentally right across the board , also gave me usefull Ot excersises , sensory intergration , physical ideas , salt advice which my nhs only just got round to giving me ,and this was after a full assement so I can personally not praise them high enough

Ds was 4 in July were going back November , what I found usefull was fatc could phone them up for some more ideas

sadminster Wed 26-Aug-09 09:33:25

we've just got back yesterday - we had developmental assessment done then they put together an OT, sensory integration & SALT therapy programme (which takes about 20 minutes & is supposed to be done twice a day).

I don't think they are quacky, all of the therapy ideas seem pretty mainstream

mysonben Wed 26-Aug-09 14:04:21

Sorry for hijacking with lots of questions.

How do you get to have an appointment with BIBIC? Do you just ring them up or do you need a referal from someone?

How much does an assesment cost?

Do they give dx that are recongnized by NHS?

Mant thanks.

jasdox Wed 26-Aug-09 14:27:44

bibic - what, how, where

looks interesting, i've had nothing from SALT in nearly 2 ys

sadminster Wed 26-Aug-09 14:54:29

Just phone them - they do an hour long phone assessment then if they think they can help they book a 2 day appointment. The website hasn't been updated but the the only charge is a £50 admin fee - the assessments etc are free.

You don't need to have a diagnosis to go there either.

sadminster Wed 26-Aug-09 14:57:41

oh they don't diagnose - they'll do the CARS screening if you ask (no extra charge) ... they are doing it for ds but we've asked them not to put it in their official report (in light of the problems that SL/AW has run into).

Another good thing is that you can call/email your case worker whenever you need ... having someone who knows ds & is pretty much always available is fantastic.

mysonben Wed 26-Aug-09 14:59:12

Thanks for the info. smile

mysonben Wed 26-Aug-09 15:23:30

One more question, sorry. wink
I get the idea that they assess the child on all aspects of development and give a programme to work on the specific areas of delays, behaviours, problems,...

If they don't do dx, do they give an opinion on dx? do they suggest what is/may be "wrong" with the child if the parents ask?

Thanks.

Phoenix4725 Wed 26-Aug-09 18:39:20

they dont or mine did not but i already had a dx but they did pick up on things that i menntioned and asked them is it worth me pushing it and they said yes so not adx as such more of a confirmation what i was asking

Yes it was all areas they looked at speech, gross and fine motor control , sensory , diet.Best devlpmental check ds has had to date am looking forward to going back

sadminster glad yours went ok and yes i to wondered if was going be slightly alternative but it made so much common sense and more so fo0r us it has worked ds would not be where he is now without their help-

IUsedToBePeachy Wed 26-Aug-09 18:58:46

We've used it for two children, in addition I spent a few days there for work long before I had SN concerns over my own children- we've moved now but used to live very close indeed.

They're not really quacky, they've been going over 30 years and there are staff tehre (or there were) who work for the NHS as well; the GP and SALT did for a starting point.

They don't dx, although we did get hints (but we knew anyway). their approach isnt really about that though- its more a whole child perspective- addressing actual needs. Our Paed did use the reports in her assessment (as did the LEA in their statements system)

Phone instead of email, their admin is probably imvho the least wnderful part.

Oh and anyone with SALT needs should look at the Cerebra SALT link, sometimes they will fund a child who ahs SN and no SALT access for a set length of time

IUsedToBePeachy Wed 26-Aug-09 18:59:48

(And sorry one more thing- without them DS3 wouldn't be able to talk, as they sorted his PECs for us and trhat got him going)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now