Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

packed lunches on GF CF diet

(19 Posts)
staryeyed Tue 25-Aug-09 16:26:56

Ds1 ASD is starting full time reception this Septemeber. Now Im panicking about what I can give him for his packed lunch. He is quite limited and fussier by the day so any ideas would be gratefully received.

He eats:
GFCF bread (wont eat a sandwich)
rice, biryani
GFCF pasta
curry, bolognaise
baked potato, wedges, chips
sometimes gfcf pasta
eggy bread
gfcf fish fingers, fish cakes, fish pie
pancakes
sometimes baked beans
rarely a banana,apple, orange, grapefruit

most of these things wont work cold so I really need some help...

PipinJo Tue 25-Aug-09 18:17:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sphil Tue 25-Aug-09 18:49:55

DS2 has the same lunch every day:
Sandwich of gf/cf bread with hummus (homemade so no tahini) - you could do hummous on a slice of bread or as a dip if he'll eat it? That's the carbs and protein sorted.
Packet of crisps (I empty them into tub as that seems to annoy school less!)
Tub of grapes
Rice cakes with smear of jam (sandwiched together so school can't see naughty jam)

I have also tried him with a mackerel pate made by blending a tin of mackerel with some silken tofu and lemon juice. He ate it, though rather reluctantly.

I reassure myself that it does at least contain some healthy elements - but I would dearly love to ring some changes, so will be watching this thread with interest. Like you, Stary, hot food is not so much of a problem.

I keep thinking - if he would just eat chicken all my problems would be solved grin

catski Wed 26-Aug-09 23:07:28

I make my son 'chicken burgers' (they're the chicken and apple balls from the annabel karmel toddler book with the gluten/casein items left out or substituted), which he'll eat cold. If you think that might work I'll post the recipe for you.

Failing that, could you ask the school to heat his lunch up bearing in mind his dietary needs?

staryeyed Thu 27-Aug-09 10:18:03

Thanks for the suggestions-

Pipinjo- I forgot to say we eat halal so no pork products.

Sphil- whats wrong with tahini? Ds used to love hummous- would eat a tub if in front of him but He will not touch the stuff now. He wont eat any spreads either- jam etc

CAtski- I night have to ask them to heat his lunch up but I think they might pull the old "health and safety " arguement.the chicken burger recipee would be great thanks.

catski Thu 27-Aug-09 17:41:25

Chicken and apple balls (although I squash them flat so they're more like burgers) - makes 20 small ones

1 large apple, peeled and grated
2 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley chpped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme or sage, chopped or a pinch of mixed dried (gluten free) herbs
1 chicken stock cube, crumbled (I leave this out because even the gluten free ones still have MSG/yeast extract in which apparently children on the spectrum have problems with)
50g/2oz (gluten and milk free) breadcrumbs (you could you use finely crushed gluten free cornflakes if you can't find gluten free breadcrumbs)
Freshly ground salt and pepper
(Gluten free) flour for coating
Oil for frying

Using your hands, squeeze out a little excess liquid from the grated apple. Mix the apple with the chicken, onion, herbs and breadcrumbs and roughly chop in a food processor for a few seconds. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Form into balls (or burgers), roll in flour and fry in shallow oil for about 5 minutes until lightly golden and cooked through.

I don't if you can get it in the UK, but I use chicken mince which means I don't have to use the food processor - just mix everything all together. Maybe you could use turkey mince instead.

I freeze them in little bags of 2 or 3 and he has those with roasted carrots and potatoes (which he'll also eat cold at a pinch).

I hate that whole 'health and safety' reason for not using the microwave. Drives me insane when I'm in the UK and no restaurant will heat my son's food.

finefatmama Sat 29-Aug-09 22:15:15

i'm having the same problems and decided to buy a food flask this one. I suppose that'll mean that I have to cook the night before, then reheat in the morning before transferring to the flask. Ds prefers rice with curry and potatoes with an omlette.

I have a microwaveable one that I currently use for work (microwave at home then put the lid on) but it'll be too big.

My other worry is that he'll lunge at anyone eating wheat and nick thier food. We had some friends over last month and he kept taking thier cakes and biscuits off them. he'd hide behind the door then jump out and frighten them, snatch the goodies and run away while stuffing everything into his mouth.

sphil Sat 29-Aug-09 23:48:25

Tahini has sesame seeds in - DS2 allergic to nuts and seeds sad

finefatmama Sun 30-Aug-09 22:01:46

can anyone tell me if pom bears are ok as snacks. someone recommended them to me at work.

sphil Tue 01-Sep-09 08:22:51

They have milk in them Finefatmama - or some sort of casein anyway - whey maybe?

catski Thu 03-Sep-09 16:29:11

What do your kids have for breakfast? Mine always has a scrambled egg and a home made pancake but I'm really stuck for breakfast ideas. Have tried him with gf cereal and rice milk but he won't eat it, and all the 'gluten free' bread I've found has wheat starch in it.

staryeyed Thu 03-Sep-09 16:44:02

Every day ds has enerG bread toasted and sometimes Tecos GF pancakes. Sometimes I make make him secret banana and apple and cinnamon GF CF pancakes. He used to eat GF cereal but wont any more.

Have you tried Freefrom Crumpets/muffins?

waitingforgodot Thu 03-Sep-09 17:16:34

where can you buy gf cereal?
(apologies for the thread hijack)

staryeyed Thu 03-Sep-09 17:36:56

We got ours from tesco/ sainsburys but also in health food shops.

catski Thu 03-Sep-09 18:14:48

Thanks stary - I'm outside the UK so unfortunately don't have access to those brands. I might have a go at making my own bread but if turns out anything like the gf/cf cakes I've made it will barely be sniffed at before ending up in the bin.

I have another question though! If you give sandwiches, what do you put IN them? Cheese - no, ham - no (think all pre cooked deli meats contain milk derivatives don't they?). The only things I can think of are peanut butter or gf/cf jam, neither of which seem particularly healthy.

staryeyed Thu 03-Sep-09 18:28:27

are you in europe? www.store2go.net/shop/generaldietary/p/help

catski Thu 03-Sep-09 19:46:27

I am in europe yes stary - thanks for the link, I'll have a look!

pushkar Fri 04-Sep-09 20:45:39

i have some hot flasks from mama jojo bebe heat with hot water empty out water add got food just cooked or heated put into flasks lasts up to 5-6 hours
about £12.00 each comes in blue or pink we have both and you can put anything inside it.

we also never heat plastics in a microwave as it causes bisphenols [plastics] to give enormous toxicity to children.

zakmum Sun 13-Sep-09 17:55:08

I make tuna& pasta salad with mayonnaise for my dd's packed lunch.i have also invested in a waffle maker from john lewis and make my own potato waffles or sweet waffles for my dd.I make my own chicken nugget for her.I also cook rice with kidney beans,rice with chick peas,and rice with mix veg.I hope this will help.If you need a recipie please ask. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now