Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Safe Space - does anyone have one?

(9 Posts)
swineofthetimes Sun 23-Aug-09 22:10:58

I'm thinking of getting one of these for dd - however I'm worried that it's going to be prohibitively expensive.

Does anyone have one? Is it good? Were you able to get funding for it? Thanks

daisy5678 Sun 23-Aug-09 22:35:21

Social Services will sometimes fund them if the OT/ adaptations department say it's needed.

They look great smile

saintlydamemrsturnip Sun 23-Aug-09 23:10:43

You can apply for a DFG. Not means tested in children. I've written a bit about them interactioninmind.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/safety/ Actually I haven't written much but there's a link to the DFG site.

Also have something about safe spaces there if you look under grants.

jennybensmummy Mon 24-Aug-09 07:04:49

our camhs is looking into it for ben to see if we would be able to apply for funding for one. they look gtreat though dont they

Davros Mon 24-Aug-09 08:24:41

I know someone who's got one and says its great. She was funded partly Soc Svs (with a bit of a fight) and Family Fund (I think). I saw another one in a mag recently, a sort of foam enclosure. I'll dig it out and post link as an alternative. I would also check Fledglings in case they know of alternatives.

swineofthetimes Mon 24-Aug-09 18:00:35

Thanks everyone. We'll be applying for a DFG once we move as dd will need a bathroom building/ adapting downstairs for her, so great to hear we could include one of these too.

If you can find the foam one you saw that'd be great Davros (especially if it's cheaper but does the same job!).

DD really needs one though - she has PMLD - she cannot sit unaided, but is mobile enough to be able to give herself some whopper chopper bruises. I'm worried as she gets bigger this is going to get worse.

r3dh3d Mon 24-Aug-09 18:27:55

SS OT was debating the Genie Safesides today as a cheaper alternative to the safespace, at least the safespace Voyager. Seems to me it might be OK if your child is flailing but not actually trying to get out of bed. DD1 would just lean over the top till she fell out. Bump. hmm

Fwiw, this is DD1's bed, a SAVI.

swineofthetimes Mon 24-Aug-09 19:38:43

I've thought about buying a Safesides for when we're away from home - like your dd r3dh3d my dd would also probably kneel, then topple over and fall out, but at least it would be better than our current arrangement of piling our holdalls around her hmm. I could really do with a Safesides with a higher and more safe side!

I like that Savi. We have the cheaper Zac's bed, which is great except for the fact that dd bashes the side with her head whilst playing - cue multiple bruises, which iosn't great.

monstermansmum Mon 24-Aug-09 21:39:44

Safe Space voyager cost in the region of £2.5K, the cosy fit is a bit more expensive and the safe space 'room' depends on what size you get but they start at around 3.5k (I Think) hmm We also have a Savi TOM bed-its fantastic for keeping ds contained-we have 6 ft sides so that he cant stand and lean right over the sides. He batters the hell out of it but its stood up well so far. We borrowed a safespace voyager for a holiday recently and that worked really well. Cerebra are good at funding them but and if you get in touch with Safe space they will tell you who fund them. Kinderkey make aan alternative if your dc isnt too mobile

www.kinderkey.co.uk/ProductsAll-cat63.html

I know someone who had the Bearhuggzz-she upgraded to a cosyfit as her dd got bigger but they both really liked it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now