Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Left handed?

(12 Posts)
sadminster Sat 22-Aug-09 08:26:48

(distracting myself here)

Is your child with ASD left handed? DS is very left handed - dad & my maternal g'ma are lefties too so there's a genetic connection.

My SALT suggested that his left handedness made language acquisition more difficult/slower. Is there any evidence for that? Is left handedness associated with ASD.

Marne Sat 22-Aug-09 08:32:51

both of mine are right handed, i am a lefty and was a late talker (possible ASD), all my 3 step children are lefties but only 1 possibly on the spectrum.

5inthebed Sat 22-Aug-09 08:35:31

DS2 is right handed. DS1 (NT) is left handed though.

daisy5678 Sat 22-Aug-09 09:41:01

I'm left handed, as is J. But we both do most things apart from writing right-handed. Cos we're weird wink.

HelensMelons Sat 22-Aug-09 10:03:55

I'm left handed, ds2 with asd is right handed - none of my family or my sister's (so far - dnephew is only a few weeks old!) are left handed.

I think I have read somewhere that left handedness in the family can be a feature somewhere with asd/dyspraxia/adhd/dyscalculia (spelt wrongly I'm sure)dx.

NorthernSky Sat 22-Aug-09 10:58:04

Message withdrawn

jennybensmummy Sat 22-Aug-09 18:27:56

my ds is left handed and very few people in either family are. he is autistic and possible dyspraxia (they cant make their minds up!)hes only nearly 4 so no idea if dyslexia is likely yet

jasdox Sat 22-Aug-09 22:10:37

I'm LHS, poss ASD definitely dyslexic, i believe, there is a connection with dyslexia, LHS and ASD, as related to the same part of the brain: - the brains of dyslexic children show an unusual variation in left- and right-side activity. Recent research has found that, whereas non-dyslexic children use the left side of their brain for language work, dyslexic children have to use the right side as well. This is not the side of the brain that is wired for language work, and, as a result, the brains of dyslexic children and adults have to work about six times harder. This may be why dyslexic children and adults become fatigued by language work and dealing with text.

campion Sun 23-Aug-09 01:01:25

DS1 left handed and has AS though others in both sides of family also left handed and NT.

I noticed when I was teaching special needs groups that left handers were much more common than in an average class.

asdx2 Sun 23-Aug-09 08:12:15

Ds14 is left handed and has autism, dd6 is right handed and has autism and then I have another ds20 who is mathematically gifted who is left handed and another ds21 who has dyspraxia and is right handed oh and a dd16 gifted and right handed.
What is strange though is that we can't find anybody in either side of our family who are left handed so not sure where it comes from.

BriocheDoree Sun 23-Aug-09 12:47:25

DD is right-handed but almost ambidextrous. However, all left-handers in the family definitely NT!

bonkerz Sun 23-Aug-09 13:18:49

MY DS IS LEFT HANDED (atypical autism and ODD).....noone on my side or biological dads side are leftys........DS is left handed but right footed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now