Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

In shock! Glitteryboy's MyTobii eyetracker is coming on Tuesday!!!

(16 Posts)
glitteryb6 Fri 21-Aug-09 20:25:41

Cant believe it!

He was assessed by the communication people again in April and they did a letter stating that this was the only device he could use, he's tried other eye trackers over the years but this was the first and only one he could work since he was 3.

i rather naively thought once we had it in writing someone would just write a cheque for £12,000 and he would have it but was told no i would have to start writing letters and harrassing the powers that be as "its better coming from the parents"
Only two people that the communication service have worked with have one and they are both adults.

i decided to wait till he started school so i would have them to back me up and was gearing myself up to start writing, i was going to phone the communication service on monday for a list of names!

Anyhoo out of the blue the school received a call today to say that Evans Mytobii wouldnt be coming till tuesday as they had delivered it to his old school.
we are all in shock as the schools ASL service has never known anyone to get one of these funded in the area at all, never mind without a fight!

seems someone in Education did just write a cheque after all!

i cried when i heard blush

lingle Fri 21-Aug-09 20:50:00

Congratulations. Is it one of these?

http://www.youtube.com/user/mobiletobii?view=videos

glitteryb6 Fri 21-Aug-09 20:59:59

thats the one! grin

lingle Sat 22-Aug-09 13:44:37

wow.

glitteryb6 Sat 22-Aug-09 20:59:21

finally he will have a voice...albeit an american girls voice! hmm every time he's tried it he picks Nelly US as the speech output grin

Phoenix4725 Sat 22-Aug-09 21:02:29

just wait till he starts giving you orders

glitteryb6 Sat 22-Aug-09 21:10:35

thats ok i'll just mute him! grin

Mitchell81 Mon 24-Aug-09 07:13:36

Oh wow, that is fantastic news. grin

We had the rep for the kirton ultima last week and today the JCM jupiter rep is coming so soon DD will be as comfy in her home chair as your DS. I was going to ask you the fabric of your kirton is fake leather right? Is it quite sticky when sitting on it in shorts etc?

glitteryb6 Mon 24-Aug-09 14:20:22

to be honest the fake leather did make him a bit sweaty in the summer but i put a towel over it and he was fine, i'd rather do that than get a fabric as the fake leather looks better when its not getting used, matches my sofas!!

Mitchell81 Mon 24-Aug-09 14:24:09

Thats my thoughts too blush Thanks

glitteryb6 Mon 24-Aug-09 18:56:17

to be fair he also has a JCM Triton with fabric material that makes him sweat too so maybe its just him!

Mitchell81 Mon 24-Aug-09 19:50:58

I don't know which one is better. They both have positives and negatives. Now need to decide unless huge difference in price then OT will choose cheaper option. hmm

I'm thinking kirton is the better option

glitteryb6 Mon 24-Aug-09 20:10:01

As a comfy chair i like the look of the Kirton more, i think the JCM looks like ds's Triton functional chair but with armrests, still looks too special needy IYKWIM.

Does your dd have a functional chair or will this be her only chair, if so the OT may go with the JCM as its more supportive?

glitteryb6 Mon 24-Aug-09 20:14:31

Think the Kirtons cheaper, ds has the 300 size with a groin harness, headrest and side pads and it was £1295, when he got his Triton a few years ago it was over £1500 and i think the Jupiter is a wee bit dearer again?

5inthebed Mon 24-Aug-09 20:19:31

Excellent news! Just wait until he starts asking 50 questions about where peas come from hmmgrin

glitteryb6 Mon 24-Aug-09 20:31:30

i know we've had 5 years of a pretty much non verbal child, god knows what'll come out, i'll need to start watching what i say! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now