Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Two milestones in one day (proud mum thingy)

(9 Posts)
streakybacon Fri 21-Aug-09 08:34:52

Ds (10, AS) has been at summer playscheme all this week and has been doing OK, really enjoying himself. A couple of weeks ago on anothe scheme he had a nasty outburst in the swimming pool (he'd been kicked twice in the face by another lad - I'd have struggled to keep my cool under those circs tbh). We'd had the usual 'post mortem' chat and talked about how he might have handled it differently - stuff we've been doing for years to no avail as his impulsivity makes it hard to act appropriately 'in the moment'.

So yesterday he was at the pool again, another episode of a boy teasing and calling him names, then said boy ducked him under the water. Ds calmly got out of the pool (second attempt, the lad pulled him back in by the trunks and left him mooning at the whole pool) and told the life guard to make him stop. I'm bursting with pride because it's finally getting through and he's learning to think before he acts grin.

THEN... for the first time EVER we all sat down to the same meal for tea - chicken and rice and vegetables - it's only a bleedin' combination food as well grin(he's only been eating sandwiches for just over a year, that's how rigid he's been in the past).

Nice when things go well, isn't it smile?

lou031205 Fri 21-Aug-09 08:45:13

Well done him!

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Fri 21-Aug-09 08:52:05

Yay!

magso Fri 21-Aug-09 09:01:09

Well done you and him!

bubblagirl Fri 21-Aug-09 09:21:32

well done very proud indeed

misscutandstick Fri 21-Aug-09 10:01:12

Thats fantastic, totally sympathise with the "in the moment" problems (DS1 ADHD), well done you for sticking with it so long, and well done him for giving other options a try!!!

what a brilliant thread!

gotta love the PMM (proud mummy moments!)

sc13 Fri 21-Aug-09 11:00:14

That's very very very good (and much better than a lot of NT adults, let alone children, would have done in your DS's shoes). And thanks for sharing; I love to hear about older children doing well smile

streakybacon Fri 21-Aug-09 13:03:02

Thanks peeps <still beaming>.

I have to add a huge amount of praise and grateful thanks to the playscheme organisers, who have been absolutely fab grin. It's so well run I want to kiss them all.

The area managers for the two schemes ds has been on met with me beforehand to talk about the strategies we use for him at home(in addition to the information pack we submitted on application), and ds has said he's actually seen them on site with his charts and visuals. They've even been (deep breath) PROACTIVE in helping him to stay calm instead of waiting till he blows then attempting to deal with the aftermath. It's really increased his trust in adults, which was shot to bits before he came out of school for home ed last year. And you know what, this isn't even an SN specific scheme - it's fully integrated mainstream so ds is playing team sports and doing activities with all the regular kids. He's having a whale of a time.

Best of all, it's only £50 a week - and I only pay half because I get IB grin.

bubblagirl Fri 21-Aug-09 17:32:44

well done to the fab team involved who are helping him also but ds really does need the biggest high five for taking it all on board and acting so brilliantly xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now