Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ABA: Roundabout of nonsense begins

(40 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Thu 20-Aug-09 16:53:12

Message withdrawn

moondog Thu 20-Aug-09 16:57:50

Yes.
And that is complete shit about the programmes. Even if they were ineffective, they have been remiss in keeping data-you're telling me a whole team of professionals couldn't keep the results of some standardised baseline and post intervention assessments?? hmm

If they don't have them ,they are negligent.
If they didn't do them they are negligent. Who the fuck spends thousands of £££ of public money on an intervetion and doesn't look at outcomes.

Yes, just request it all in written form (I'd email -with a tracer- and say you want all of what she said in a letter, citing FoI act.)
#

Jesus Christ!!!

moondog Thu 20-Aug-09 17:01:38

Also, ABA has changed massively in last 15 years.

Have oyu got that book I told you to read (Sense and Nonsense one that PipinJo recommended?) Essentail reading with loads of useful easily digestible data on efficacy of various therapies including big bit on how useless the state provided 'eclectic' model is.

In valuable for fighting a case.

I noticed on another thread you talked about Music Therapy. MT is lovely lovley stuff. I work with many and run a private signing company with one (separate to my regular job).

But......bugger all data to show it is effective with kids with ASD. My advice would be not to bother fighting for this and expending precious energy resources.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 20-Aug-09 17:04:16

Message withdrawn

moondog Thu 20-Aug-09 17:06:23

Just send the FoI request-and copy it in to her manager anyway. Copy also to SNAP. That will shift things.
Don't let them fuck you around and waste your time and energy.
Seriously.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 20-Aug-09 17:07:15

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 20-Aug-09 17:12:25

Message withdrawn

moondog Thu 20-Aug-09 17:17:25

Read it from cover to cover.
It is excellent.
The biggest point in your favour is you have seen through all of this bullshit at a very early stage when your ds is still little.
So many people don't and precious time is lost.
Also, although you are and will go through hassle, you will established yourself as a parent NTBFW (!) and that will augur well in fuure.

Enjoy the weekend! smile

PipinJo Thu 20-Aug-09 22:32:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AngryWasp Thu 20-Aug-09 22:38:47

Wow PipinJo Do you have any references? My DH works in a University so might be able to get hold of it!

AngryWasp Thu 20-Aug-09 22:40:16

Sorry, - I'm Starlight, - but I really am an Angry Wasp atm!

PipinJo Thu 20-Aug-09 23:26:36

AngryWasp Thu 20-Aug-09 23:36:11

That's the whole point PipinJo, - not to scare you of course, but as a LA-fighting mantra. smile

Hope you surface from your paperwork though for your own sanity. I reckon all paperwork should be binned in August every year!

PipinJo Fri 21-Aug-09 00:11:11

PipinJo Fri 21-Aug-09 00:23:46

AngryWasp Fri 21-Aug-09 01:22:06

Thank you PininJo. That research is just perfect and I've been able to access it in full.

As usual though, it's sent me into a panic mode because I'm being reminded again of every day/hour that I'm letting my ds drift into no-mans land whilst I sit on my computer or the phone surviving myself on chocolate and adrenaline!

Still, had a phonecall today from a VB provider who has read all my stuff and will take ds on. A bit torn between just going with him because he seems okay, has a good name and it is one step less, or searching around and risking wasting further valuable time. I suppose I could focus on getting tutors whilst I decide............

PipinJo Fri 21-Aug-09 08:41:10

AngryWasp Fri 21-Aug-09 10:01:50

pmsl - apparently it is true that the LA employees have been told to be cautious about who they give out their email addresses to because of a spate of viruses sent by parents.

The crazy thing is that, as with most LAs the email address of any employee is blimmin obvious once you have the address of one.

Pipin Can I ask for your advice wrt specifics? I'm putting Baby Starlight into childcare for 4 hours a day for 4 days per week so that I can work with ds/make case/resources etc. DH is aiming to take Friday afternoons off work and catch up at other times. Is it advisable to crack on immediately without tutors using the resources we currently have and recruiting as and when we can, or is it much better to wait until we have a good reliable team?

I think our hours will be something like:

Mon-Thursday 1:30-4:30 - Starlight 12 hours
Friday 1:30 -4:30 - Mr Starlight 3 hours
Saturday 9:30 - 12:30 - Mr Starlight 3 hours

Total 18 hours

How many hours do you need to find for management of a self run programme i.e. resources, planning etc. Should I put Baby Starlight into childcare on the Friday afternoon to do this? Where/how does the team meeting fit into all of this?

I know that the answers are really individual to us, but I suppose I was wondering if it appears vaguely realistic?

Would it then be possible/advisable to bring in a tutor as and when we find a good one (my ds is likely to cope okay with this)

sadminster Fri 21-Aug-09 10:02:58

AW we spoke to 4 different providers by email & phone & went with the one we had the best gut feeling about ... didn't meet any of them irl - probably not ideal but time & money are v. limited. TBH it was quickly obvious that the other providers weren't right for us ... mainly for organisational/financial issues.

PipinJo Fri 21-Aug-09 10:29:16

PipinJo Fri 21-Aug-09 10:31:39

sadminster Fri 21-Aug-09 11:09:56

I have one interested tutor ... passed on from another family (thanks!), she's inexperienced but seems very keen. I've contacted seven others & haven't had a single reply. Will do gumtree advert after we've seen consultant, but we're going to start going asap.

My mum is going to do the training too & will cover one session - so I'll do 12 hours, dh 6, my mum 3. We want a tutor 6 initially (will hopefully increase to 12 if/when we get some funding sorted out). DS will still go to CM one day a week, I'm going to ask CM to come on training - not to do any sessions but to be aware of how we're working with ds.

DD2 will have to go to CM a couple of mornings* (won't be until after Christmas & I she'll take a bottle), we're going to have a slowish start I think. We will still get an hour of portage which I'll keep going if it is compatible with the ABA & should get SALT (although I have no idea what that will consist of) which will bump the 1:1 hours up to near 30 a week which is what I'm aiming for (plus the BIBIC OT/SIT which dh is going to do before work/bed which will be about an hour a day). Minor problem of finding a way to increase our income by about £300 a month hmm

*my next door but one neighbour has just registered & I have crazy idea of putting dd2 with her so I can still pop in to breastfeed when required.

AngryWasp Fri 21-Aug-09 12:06:14

Thanks for sharing your logistics sad and pipin

DS is 2.9 (33 months), dd is 11 months (and always in the way)

The Autism Advisory Service is visiting for 1 hour per week from beginning of September. Do I send them packing?

smallwhitecat Fri 21-Aug-09 12:55:56

Message withdrawn

mum2fredandpudding Fri 21-Aug-09 13:33:20

hiya - i cant find hte book y'all are talking about anywhere (sense nad nosense) - can anyone provide a link? cheers.

starlight/angry - watching your story with interest. in the process of starting our request for funding. i have founf hte consultants to be an excellent source of help in this. they have been involved in numerous funding requests nad have a lot of hte appropriate stuff at the ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now