Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hanen "It Takes Two to Talk" available for borrowing

(19 Posts)
lingle Wed 19-Aug-09 22:53:04

Another mumsnetter has finished with my copy of this book and I thought I'd see if anyone else wants it before having it sent back to me.

www.hanen.org for details

Essentially a manual to train parents to interact better with languaged-delayed kids, this book is superbly written and edited and cleverly illustrated. It is completely free of all "special needs" jargon and vocabulary and contains no milestone charts, discussions about the nature of autism or other things that we mums/dads/grannies tend to find distractingly scary when getting to grips with our kids' language delays. It is therefore useful even if you are (i)sleep-deprived and (ii)can't face reading anything that mentions particular SN syndromes. Let me know if you'd like to borrow it and I will arrange to have it passed on.

mummyslittleboy Wed 19-Aug-09 23:01:26

Hi Lingle

If possible I would love to borrow it will return it asap thanks

lingle Thu 20-Aug-09 18:04:42

OK do you want to see if you can CAT fanjoforthemammaries who has it at the moment so you can pass her your address.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 20-Aug-09 18:22:13

i dont have CAT, will sign up tonight

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 20-Aug-09 18:23:11

or can I receive them without signing up? (skint at moment!!)

lingle Thu 20-Aug-09 19:56:13

are you comfortable putting an email address on here mummyslittleboy?

mummyslittleboy Thu 20-Aug-09 20:05:22

Hi lingle my email is jerrynsam@hotmail dot co dot uk sorry just got home been out for the day

Tigerlion Thu 20-Aug-09 20:14:37

I have this book but was wondering whether you have read Talkability or More than Words, also published by Hanen?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 20-Aug-09 20:19:02

ok, I will mail you and you can send me your address and I will post the book to you smile

lingle Thu 20-Aug-09 20:20:46

are you asking all of us Tigerlion?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 20-Aug-09 20:22:53

Thanks for coordinating that lingle, have had "one of those days" and brain is mush!

lingle Thu 20-Aug-09 20:36:44

Me too Fanjo. Nothing to do with DS2 though - managing my parents ageing ungraciously.

Tigerlion Thu 20-Aug-09 20:44:31

Yes, Lingle. Have you or anyone else reading this post read either of the titles?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 20-Aug-09 20:47:03

oh, mine are doing that too, lingle. My rotten day was work related, not even meant to be working today either but had to go in for a meeting. hmm

I haven't read the other books, Tigerlion.

lingle Thu 20-Aug-09 20:53:49

Yes I've read both - I have both right now in fact, both on loan from other mumsnetters! What do you want to know? smile. Are you wondering what the differences are between them and ITTTT?

mummyslittleboy Thu 20-Aug-09 22:13:48

Thanks lingle and fanjofortheMammaries for the book loan had to go and look after my grandad for the day 4hr drive their and back and ds not happy with the journey so was frazzled when I got in but thankyo both very muchsmile

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 21-Aug-09 10:33:47

It's in the post so you should get it soon smile

Tigerlion Fri 21-Aug-09 16:26:32

Yes, I was wondering what the difference was. My son has a language delay of around 18 months. I know that one of the titles focuses more on delays with children with ASD but can't remember which one. How do you rate the two books and do you think that they are worth readinbg after ITTTT?

lingle Fri 21-Aug-09 19:59:18

"Talkability" is useful as your child approaches fluency and starts to have real relationships with other children. I am finding it useful already for DS2 who is 4(today!) with about a 1 year expressive and 18 month receptive language delay. One invaluable chapter is the one on helping your child develop "theory of mind" all broken down into stages. Another great section is the one showing you how to "push" your child into greater flexibility in his/her play (eg you say things like "no, today I'll be red, you can be green) - an idea that seems to mirror Greenspan's ideas on being "playfully obstructive".

"More Than Words" is ASD focussed. It is about three times the length of ITTTT and inevitably this means it doesn't quite achieve the same clarity and accessibility so you have work a little harder to read it (I'd still give it 8 out of 10 for prose though). It divides kids into four groups: "own agenda", "requester", "early communicator" and "partner". My child was never at the own agenda stage so there wasn't quite that sense of working through the programme for me - I started at about the early communicator stage. What I like about it is the very good introduction to visual aids and the detailed ideas on playing - eg "Hide and Seek" described in several different ways for children at several different stages of development.

Just had a quick look at threads you've started tigerlion and would say that in your position (which is similar to my own) if I had to choose I'd go for More Than Words. If you had to buy it you could definitely sell it on. Or do what I do and lend/borrow with other mumsnetters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now