Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Approach - what sort of restraint is this?

(8 Posts)
magso Wed 19-Aug-09 11:37:50

DS (9 LD/ASD) had a wobbly at sn play club and was sent home and excluded. It seems he got more aggressive when 'approach' was used. I didnt ask what this meant. Anyone know?
I know staff at his sn school are trained in using restraint to protect children if they have to and I use 'bear hugs' from behind when he looses it in a hazardous situation. I am trying to work out what made him worse. He has sensory issues - I hope to get him back in and write a what to do passport!
Thanks!

sc13 Thu 20-Aug-09 10:40:51

No idea but bump for you

saintlydamemrsturnip Thu 20-Aug-09 15:41:51

Excluded? From a SN playscheme.

FFS.

Is there anywhere more appropriate for him. Really a SN club should be able to cope with a wobbly.

jennybensmummy Fri 21-Aug-09 06:23:50

could their approach have been like a nt child - look in their eyes and explain what they have done wrong them kind of drag them to say sorry, that would put my son into sensory overload if given forced eye contact, shouting or even just speaking loudly in his face and held to be made to go somewhere he didnt want to? however he is 3 so i dont know if when he is older his problems will have changed or he will be able to control the overloads better?! though im doubting it!

streakybacon Fri 21-Aug-09 08:23:39

My ds has often been held by the arms when he's been lashing out at another child. It always escalates things higher and has the opposite effect to calming him as he hates to feel physically restricted. Perhaps something like that happened to yours?

Sorry he had such a bad day sad. Agree you should say something to the organisers - they should have appropriate strategies in place for managing a child who might potentially lose control. We all know prevention is more effective than cure.

magso Fri 21-Aug-09 08:54:39

Yes getting excluded from a sn club must be a record and I am really disapointed and have lost some confidence in the club! I think 'approach' is a type of training in safe restraint. I think the hold was across the hips ( a sensitive area for skinny ds) and possible hurt or frightened him. Mind you once he melts down nothing on earth will get through to him! We will try again next holiday ( it has now ended for this one). I have started the process to get 1:1 for sn club for trips as I think the problem is the new club had underestimated his need and since it was of course full decided it was unsafe to have him on the staff ratios they had.
We both ( Ds and I) need that respite!!

saintlydamemrsturnip Fri 21-Aug-09 19:00:46

This is always a problem with SN clubs. They can't necessarily cope with SN iyswim - but the local authority think there are x places available for SN.

If you have a SW make site you tell them asap.

magso Sat 22-Aug-09 11:21:29

Thanks Mrs T!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now