Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Toilet training - update

(5 Posts)
woollyboots Fri 27-May-05 21:35:57

I posted here a few weeks ago asking advice for toilet training my son. He is 5 and has DS. We had a hard time for first few weeks with him just not getting it and me just losing it!

Anyway now we hardly have any accidents and I really think we have cracked it. He is so pleased with himself when he does it and cant wait to share the good news!

Thanks to those who gave me advice and to those who are toilet training just now, good luck and you will get there - just a bit slower.

coppertop Fri 27-May-05 21:37:55

Congratulations, Woollyboots! Excellent news.

Davros Fri 27-May-05 21:53:02

Oh wow, that's excellent. What do you think worked most? You are now the resident MN expert!

Dingle Fri 27-May-05 22:41:20

Fantastic news woollyboots. Well done little boots!! Give him a big hug from me!

Any tips you could pass on WB! DD has been a nightmare today, she has been running around in just a little t-shirt and a pull up. But the pull up, has now been mastered and she can pull it down too! Every time I left her for a few minutes I came back in to find her stripping off! I ended up putting her in a little pair of knickers for a while, but was then frightened to leave her IYSWIM!

woollyboots Sat 28-May-05 12:31:55

What helps with us is he is only allowed to watch telly/have a biscuit/have juice once he has done a wee. We sometimes sit a long time but then when he does it we run to the biscuit tin/telly or whatever was the bribe and he gets his reward straight away.

He also has to tell everyone in the house what he has done and if there is noone else here he phones Dad or Gran to share the news.

It might help that he is a little bit older and now he hates if he does have an accident.
The only thing we are still struggling with is he doesn't really like going to the loo with anyone else except me and Dad. But I am happy with where we are and will just keep working at the rest.

I stopped the pull ups on the first day and went straight to pants because I felt he had to feel the wetness to understand what was happening.
I let him choose his pants both in the shop and also the ones he wants to wear that day. He is so proud now of his pants that putting his nappy on at night is quite a struggle - I don't think either of us are ready for that one yet!!

I hope this helps. I don't think we are totally there yet but it definitely seems easier than it was.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: