Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ds told a lie yesterday! I guess this is good news

(12 Posts)
Eulalia Fri 27-May-05 19:44:58

ds told his first lie yesterday. Up till now he has always been extremely honest and in fact seemed unable to lie.

Yesterday he wet himself at school. First time this has happened although he does still have the odd accident at home. I've noticed he is a bit ashamed about this but other times doesn't seem to care. The school phoned to let me know they'd changed him into trousers and asked about underwear. I didn't have time to get him any and he just came home on the bus. I didn't mention to him that I knew anything and asked him what had happened to his clothes and he said that one of the other pupils had spilled water over him. I checked today just to see if that had also happened as well but it didn't .....so anyway the thing is he has completely made up this story to hide the fact he wet himself.

I am quite amazed and I suppose pleased that this must show a development of his imagination. I just hope it shows itself in other areas and not just in lying.

LGJ Fri 27-May-05 19:45:49

Davros Fri 27-May-05 19:49:15

I think its great news. You sometimes hear people saying that anyone with ASD/AS can't lie and its not true. Its a very positive thing and does show some theory of mind and/or imagination.

Chandra Fri 27-May-05 19:51:50

that's great!

LGJ Fri 27-May-05 19:51:57

Exactly what I would have said Davros, if I had known what I was talking about,but stuck to a smiley

Hate to see good news posts sitting in splendid isolation..........

Davros Fri 27-May-05 19:53:24

If in doubt, stick to a I always say!

roisin Fri 27-May-05 20:03:05

Oh I can empathise with this. DS1 didn't tell lies at all, ever, when he was 7.5; and he wouldn't believe that his friends ever told lies. When he suddenly started to be deceitful himself earlier this year I was over the moon with excitement; it seemed such a 'social' achievement for him, and proof of some theory of mind ...

... The novelty wore off after about 48 hours, then I ceased to be quite so thrilled

Eulalia Fri 27-May-05 20:12:17

I was pleased also as a few weeks back he was looking at our wedding photos and said "Mummy you look like a beautiful princess" I told a few people saying "well it must be true as he can't lie". However I doubt if I'll see a huge leap from this first incident of it to anything very complex for some time. For a start he named the pupil and obviously didn't think that I could easily have asked the other boy what had happened so it was rather a crude lie. The not lying has had its uses as he will admit quite openly to hitting his sister when I am out of the room, although its quite funny in a way as I've said "did you hit dd?" and he'll say "no" (I pause thinking this is him lying....) then he'll say "I pushed her". Being totally literal of course!

roisin Fri 27-May-05 20:34:04

How old is he Eulalia? I remember when ds1 was 5 he would come out of school, and I would ask him if he'd had a good day, and if he'd had fun, and whether the teacher had told him off. A friend came with me one day and she was astounded, thinking that ds1 wouldn't tell the truth. But he would always reel off all the details of all the "incidents" when the teacher had had words with him! (It wasn't a good year )

coppertop Fri 27-May-05 21:05:24

That's really good news, Eulalia!

I'm sure people must think we're mad on the SN board for being thrilled about these kinds of things. Ds1 doesn't lie about what he's done but he's started to show some real imagination - like telling people about the exotic holiday we're going on this year. We're not going anywhere.

Davros Fri 27-May-05 21:29:20

I remember the first time I made DS cry by being cross and how happy I was!!

Eulalia Sat 28-May-05 09:50:52

Davros

roisin - he is 5, 6 in July and is in his first year of school. His language isn't really good enough for him to describe events at school. Also he tends to be more interested in a tiny detail eg they had a talk about volcanos and he was unable to tell me anything about this - he just talked about the pump (which the teacher used to make the model volcano explode). A lot of hte time people don't know what he talking about and his speech is stilted as well. I guess in the future he could become a tell-tale though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now