Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

wait, watch and wonder

(3 Posts)
jasdox Mon 17-Aug-09 10:42:55

Has anybody heard of this, our portage worker proposed I try it and see what happens. She was given a brief intro about it and saw a video and reckoned it was very interesting. it works by: The main carer is encouraged to observe (watch) and follow the infant's spontaneous play activity, see what happens (wait) and reflect on what the infant may be thinking and feeling (wonder). The carer is asked to notice and respond to infant's clues and signals but not to instruct or guide the play. Carers who are able to 'read' cues and signals are more able to understand and to help them to regulate their feeling. A good age is usually 1-2.5y.

Research implies a good level of success.

My ds is nearly 4, so do you think it would still help?

monstermansmum Mon 17-Aug-09 10:58:03

this sounds very similar to Intensive Interaction-google Dave Willets/Chris Oliver at Birmingham University. Its used a lot in helping children with angelman Syndrome and other non verbal/challenging behaviour disorders communicate effectively. If you understand what the child is doing and why then you can hopefully have some form of effective comminucation. I know they have done quite alot of research and they run courses for parents. I have never heard it called Watch, Wait and Wonder-maybe its something different hmm

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 17-Aug-09 11:07:13

I did that anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now