Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Waiting times and targets ASD

(5 Posts)
debs40 Mon 17-Aug-09 09:30:10

Hi

It seems many of us on this board have had different experiences of waiting times for assessment and the help on offer.

I wondered if anyone knew if there were any national target times for a child to be assessed for an ASD or waiting time targets for the individual depts e.g. SALT, OT etc.

I have taken this up with our local hospital trust and got quite vague responses.

I have also asked the NAS as it seems that, given the multidisciplinary nature of the assessment, it is all to easy to hide behind different teams and there should be an overall target time.

Thanks

Phoenix4725 Mon 17-Aug-09 09:33:37

no think the rules for sevices do not apply sadly becaus ehere in north east essex a years wait is considered normal

moondog Mon 17-Aug-09 12:58:49

Well in my part of the country there are pretty tight targets for waiting lists. Ring each dept. up in turn adn ask them. If they are vague (which they shouldn't be) put in a request for the info, citing the Freedom of Informantion act 200.

debs40 Mon 17-Aug-09 13:30:31

Well, I was told that the Head of SALT believes they are not bound by waiting time targets but that they try to keep to 'the spirit of the targets' which means an appointment within 18 weeks.

As regards OT, people are given a priority level and my son's priority level means that he should be seen within 30 weeks.

But then, as far as I can see, much relies on CAMHS and I have no information about overall target times for them. I will ask. But it seems to me that there should be an overall target time for the whole assessment process.

moondog Mon 17-Aug-09 13:44:29

Every dept. is bound by targets or they get a bollocking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now