Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADOS test came back not ASD but DS still being assessed has anyone else had this?

(7 Posts)
logi Mon 17-Aug-09 00:35:57

Hi,my ds 5 has always been a little different he shows signs of ASD but the ADOS test said no yet nurse said something wasnt quite right and refered him to child pyschiatrist who says she can see autistic traits he is now being assessed over a longer time twice a week 3 hours each time for the next few weeks.Has anyone elses dc had an ADOS test negative then been told different or had their child assessd in a unit for longer time periods like my ds? My dh ad i are finding it confusing and stressful as we have hadlots of problems over the years with ds and nobody has listened until now.

daisy5678 Mon 17-Aug-09 00:43:08

I think, as the ADOS should be just one part of the diagnostic process, it is really good that they are investigating further. No test is perfect so good for them for keeping looking.And I have heard of kids being assessed for a few hours at a time a few times. Sounds positive and thorough.

logi Mon 17-Aug-09 01:20:09

Yes i am glad they are being more thorough but it has took a lot to get this far and our lives have canged drastically since having ds because of probs. I agree ADOS test should be one part of dx process.thankyou for you reply.

mysonben Mon 17-Aug-09 10:42:32

Logi, it is good they are doing a thorough job.
I agree too that they shouldn't just rely on one test to decide on the route to follow and dx.

Could i ask you if you know what points your ds scored on the ADOS? Was it just under the cut-off mark for asd?
Thanks.

logi Mon 17-Aug-09 11:20:52

Hi mysonben ive got his ADOS test here(module 2) he scored 3 on communication and 3 on reciprocal social interactio so combined score of 6 ASD cut off 8.

debs40 Mon 17-Aug-09 11:33:13

It does sound like you are getting a thorough investigation here which is good.

I think this is why it is important to ensure there are proper and thorough investigations which unforuntately can mean that a quick dx process is seldom appropriate

logi Mon 17-Aug-09 11:40:52

debs40 i agree because when ds did that test it wasnt relevant to te problems he had and i wasnt surprised.The nurse who did the test said he can do a lot more than she expected, but he is a very bright boy so what he could or couldnt do wasnt what i needed looking at. I was quite relieved when she said she could see something ,his problems have becomeeasier to manage because we put things in place to help him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now