Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sorry if this sounds silly

(10 Posts)
PuddingPops Sun 16-Aug-09 23:59:22

Hello this is our first time on here so we are still learning, bear with us! We have a beautiful daughter, Charlotte, who is 3 and she has CP and epilepsy. We were just wondering if anyone could give us any tips on how to administer her medication. At the moment we are holding her down to get it into her mouth and it is very distressing for both myself and my husband as she gets really upset. Putting it in her food doesn't work as she won't always eat all her food so some gets wasted. We know it sounds silly but we don't know what to do! Any help would be appreciated, thanks Laura and Daniel

logi Mon 17-Aug-09 00:40:42

Do you use a syringe that makes it a little easier to put tiny amounts in,or maybe in a drink she doesnt have very often like a fizzy drink...not ideal i know but if it gets it in her i have done this with my granddaughter and shes been so pleased to get the fizzy drink she hasnt noticed the medicine.

sc13 Mon 17-Aug-09 13:36:28

Bump for you

feelingbetter Mon 17-Aug-09 13:49:27

Well, if its liquid, syringe it 1ml at a time, as far back as she'll let you. Some wise MNer told me it triggers a swallow reflex, and it does.....most of the time!
DS is normally OK, but when he's having a bad day, we use water to wash it down, again 1ml syringed in, but bottle shoved in straight after before he can spit it out! He will NEVER spit out the bottle grin

Some children (not my DS tho) will tolerate it better syringed in between the cheek and gums/teeth, so it gently goes into the mouth, rather than just squirted in.

We have to give DS tablets too. We use a tablet crusher and put it on his very first spoonful rather than mixed in with the whole amount, so it doesn't matter if that is all he eats, at least his meds are in.

HTH x

PuddingPops Mon 17-Aug-09 16:40:03

Thanks so much I will try your suggestions and let you know how we get on x

feelingbetter Mon 17-Aug-09 19:03:37

Yes do let us know. Not silly at all, btw, it can really wear you down x

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 17-Aug-09 20:03:39

we spent 4 years trying to get dd's epilepsy meds down her without her gagging and vomiting. It is very wearing sad
It was actually easier if she yelled because she would gulp before taking a breath. Most of the time.
Good luck with the syringe.

SJisontheway Mon 17-Aug-09 21:20:30

We have this struggle with DD. She often throws it right back up. She's not a reliable eater either so was hard to mix with food. Mornings and evenings we mix it with a bit of fruit flavoured syrup to make it a little tastier and then back in the syringe. In the afternoon we put it in with a small amount of fruit and custard, which she is fairly reliable at finishing. It's a real struggle.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 18-Aug-09 07:50:47

it became easier for us when the gastronomy tube went in. From an hour dripping 3 or 4 meds in twice a day. To 30 seconds.

Mitchell81 Tue 18-Aug-09 11:34:35

With DD I found only syringing tiny amounts in mean't she was less likely to be sick with the meds and also I always give before food. She is now on tablets for epilpesy medication which I give half a tablet with a spoonful of food. Still a pain when I need to give her anti biotics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now