Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

thoughts on swine flu vax anyone?

(15 Posts)
sphil Sun 16-Aug-09 22:33:35

It looks as if DS2 will be offered the swine flu vax (acute asthmatic episodes) in the autumn. I am very apprehensive about the likely effects on his system, given the seemingly detrimental effects of previous vax (bowel problems and eczema following baby jabs, regressed following MMR at 16 months). Has anyone any thoughts, reassurances, read any research?(unlikely I know, as it's so new). I will find it very hard to refuse for DS2 because his asthma was so bad a couple of times last winter (two hospital visits, both by ambulance, one ending up in resus, as a precaution, but even so...) And yet I'm very worried about the possible consequences for his autism, which is still very 'fragile' if that makes sense ( he can get much worse and much better over days given a particular trigger or stimulus).

margobambino Sun 16-Aug-09 22:47:56

I definetely understand your concerns but you talk like as if there is a proven relation between vaccines and autism. Am I missing something, are they (nhs, health authorities, etc) now saying that there is a relationship?

jabberwocky Sun 16-Aug-09 22:49:52

I'm with you sphil. Dh has been fairly convinced by our pediatrician that we all need the vax while I am frankly terrified.

margo, puhhhleaz......

2shoes Sun 16-Aug-09 22:51:10

I will lurk on this thread as I so don't wantd dd to have it.

sphil Sun 16-Aug-09 22:54:33

Do I get into this....?

Others know far more about the research than me - I would never say that vaccines 'caused' DS2's autism but I am pretty convinced that his autism was exacerbated by them. So a trigger rather than a cause. A heavy burden on an already compromised immune system.

PipinJo Sun 16-Aug-09 22:55:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PipinJo Sun 16-Aug-09 22:58:00

margobambino Sun 16-Aug-09 23:02:10

I was asking naively Jabberwocky, not implying anything. I too would not want my DS have it. I am really really terrified too, not only vaccine also from the medication and everything re swine flu.

sphil Sun 16-Aug-09 23:05:05

I do think it will be a big issue for the SN community. Many of our children will be the most vulnerable to swine flu, yet arguably most at risk from the vaccine.

DS2's nutritionist ( I realise this makes him sound like some sort of Heat magazine celeb wink) has sent me a link to some research about the use of supplements to combat swine flu - will try to link.
www.nleducation.co.uk/tag/swine-flu
Scroll down to the article about prevention using colostrum. Sounds a bit far fetched, but who knows?

PipinJo Sun 16-Aug-09 23:13:04

jabberwocky Sun 16-Aug-09 23:18:05

I heard a discussion about the vaccine recently and there is apparently going to be two types. One with an active virus and one without. So a caller who had a heart condition was advised to get the inactive virus vaccine. That may wind up being the compromise between dh and me. I just really, really hate to face making the actual decision

devientenigma Sun 16-Aug-09 23:19:42

Just watching naively as ds also has pneumonia jab every other year (although still has pneumonia every year).

Phoenix4725 Mon 17-Aug-09 05:57:53

dd luckily wont be having even though shes onsidered high risk as she does not make antibodies to injections so paed has already stated now worth putting her through it.

Ad will be declining on ds behalf till more is known abot it

Mitchell81 Mon 17-Aug-09 09:08:31

I am in the same situation. DD is in the high risk category with repeat courses of anti biotics afew times a year for chest infections.
I would be scared if she got swineflu but also am scared about the vacine because so little is known about it.
(I have given her all other immunisations)

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 17-Aug-09 09:23:56

dd isn't haveing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now