Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Diet coke anyone! Bitter sweet taste:((((((((

(17 Posts)
PipinJo Sun 16-Aug-09 21:15:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PipinJo Sun 16-Aug-09 21:16:02

lou031205 Sun 16-Aug-09 21:21:25

www.naturalnews.com/026849_aspartame_health_Donald_Rumsfeld.html

glitteryb6 Sun 16-Aug-09 21:26:28

i tend to avoid anything with the artificial sweetners aspartame, phenylananine and acesulfame k in them as i find they give me headaches and affect my mood.
i only give ds drinks with natural sugars in them rather than the no added sugar drinks aimed at kids as they are full of these sweetners...that plus he needs the calories! grin

PipinJo Sun 16-Aug-09 22:10:20

ChopsTheDuck Mon 17-Aug-09 08:33:14

It's a shame that that article seems to exaggerate a bit too much to have credibility. I guess it is just trying to make a point though.

One of my dts is awful with aspartime. A friend told me about it, and when I cut it out from his diet he was so much calmer. He gets hyper, confrontational, defiant, basically a little terror! fruit shoots are the worse, and it is a shame that even the H20 'healthy' versions have aspartime in them.

Goblinchild Mon 17-Aug-09 08:44:04

Neither of mine will drink anything but water, milk, hot chocolate and apple juice. They can't bear the taste of other manufactured drinks, or tea or coffee. And they're 18 and 14.
So quite without my help, they come across as health nuts. Thank God for the hot chocolate!

drlove8 Tue 18-Aug-09 00:12:16

why is artificial sweetners put into everything? .... the stuff gives a vile aftertaste, and is bad for you... its not a naturally occuring substance ffs! - whats it going to do to a person after 20-30 yrs consumption on a regular basis????
im having trouble finding drinks for the kids that dont have this crap in them.... rocks organic is about it really....sad

Mumcentreplus Tue 18-Aug-09 00:16:01

Artificial sweetners give me headaches..especially in mints for some reason..

glitteryb6 Tue 18-Aug-09 11:00:34

robinsons high juice has no artificial colours or sweetners either

r3dh3d Tue 18-Aug-09 11:10:53

The problem is that people have got the idea that sugar causes their children to be "hyperactive" hmm and thus kids' drinks are now more likely to contain artificial sweeteners than sugar - because "sugar free" is what sells. Afaik, studies have shown NO link between sugar and behaviour issues. GOSH dietician got quite ranty on the subject when I asked, lol, I think it's a bit of a bugbear for them. But plenty of links between artificial sweetners and all sorts of problems.

drlove8 Tue 18-Aug-09 11:33:26

a friend once told me that artificial sweetners can rot the lining around the brain in kids if they get too much .
Dont know if this is true, as shes as mad as a box of frogs, and was a bit pished at the time, but as she is a mental health nurse so im inclinde to beleve her.(not just a regestered, the girls got degerees all over the nursey world !)

glitteryb6 Tue 18-Aug-09 11:51:06

grin "a bit pished at the time"

cyberseraphim Tue 18-Aug-09 11:54:04

Sugar in moderation is a normal part of the human diet. I don't understand the mania about 'sugar free'. I don't buy zero alcohol wine either for the same reason grin

drlove8 Tue 18-Aug-09 13:49:51

second that wine cyber ! grin <<<hic>>>

BlackLetterDay Tue 18-Aug-09 15:05:50

hmm Aspartame is obviously not great for you but that article was ridiculous.

masonicpixiesreadthedailymail Tue 18-Aug-09 19:56:28

haven't read

I earnestly try and avoid giving it the kids. Am v suss of aspartame

but I don't think its worth worrying about the diet coke you drank in pg. Pretty futile - you can't exactly do owt about that now whereas you can ban the fruit shoots or whatever if you wish

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now