Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Leaving ds for first time since dx of epilepsy!

(12 Posts)
Bethron Fri 27-May-05 09:50:24

Message withdrawn

heartinthecountry Fri 27-May-05 10:11:32

Hi Bethron - I know exactly how you feel. I was terrified of leaving dd for the first time when she was having seizures. But, you know, it will be okay and it is important for you to have a break.

I guess from your MILs point of view it is quite a scary thing to deal with. But once she has done it a few times she will be far more relaxed. Has she witnessed your ds having a seizure? Does she know what they usually look like?

One thing I have done for dds carers is written down a kind of seizure reference guide! So I have described what her seizures usually look like, listed all the possible signs that she is having one, and then also a 'when to seek help' checklist eg 'if each spasm lasts longer than x amount of time' 'if the spasm cluster goes on for x amount of time'.

Her childminder said she found it really helpful because it was just reassuring to be able to refer to it and think, okay - this is a normal seizure so we just have to wait for it to pass.

HTH - and enjoy your night away

heartinthecountry Fri 27-May-05 10:12:13

Hi Bethron - I know exactly how you feel. I was terrified of leaving dd for the first time when she was having seizures. But, you know, it will be okay and it is important for you to have a break.

I guess from your MILs point of view it is quite a scary thing to deal with. But once she has done it a few times she will be far more relaxed. Has she witnessed your ds having a seizure? Does she know what they usually look like?

One thing I have done for dds carers is written down a kind of seizure reference guide! So I have described what her seizures usually look like, listed all the possible signs that she is having one, and then also a 'when to seek help' checklist eg 'if each spasm lasts longer than x amount of time' 'if the spasm cluster goes on for x amount of time'.

Her childminder said she found it really helpful because it was just reassuring to be able to refer to it and think, okay - this is a normal seizure so we just have to wait for it to pass.

heartinthecountry Fri 27-May-05 10:12:18

heartinthecountry Fri 27-May-05 10:12:50

OOps - sorry, computer doing weird things.

Bethron Fri 27-May-05 10:20:00

Message withdrawn

Bethron Fri 27-May-05 10:21:47

Message withdrawn

Fio2 Fri 27-May-05 11:40:13

have a lovely time bethron and I can totally understand why you would be nervous, but try to stay calm and enjot yourself

Bethron Fri 27-May-05 11:43:05

Message withdrawn

Clarinet60 Fri 27-May-05 12:01:19

have a lovely time Bethron, I'm sure she'll let you know if there's a problem.

Bethron Fri 27-May-05 12:50:36

Message withdrawn

Bethron Mon 30-May-05 10:23:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now