Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What Sensory Intergration Therapy does your dc have?

(20 Posts)
PipinJo Sun 16-Aug-09 11:07:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cyberseraphim Sun 16-Aug-09 11:10:05

about to get first session soon so will let you know - but seems to be deep pressure exercises and also exercises to build up strength in upper body as OT says will help vestibular system to be more 'grounded'

PipinJo Sun 16-Aug-09 11:23:15

cyberseraphim Sun 16-Aug-09 13:45:47

I think it should do - we had to fill in a detailed questionnarie - Winnie Dunn sensory profile before the assessment and it certainly covered all those issues.

tink123 Sun 16-Aug-09 15:46:20

My dd used to get SIT on a weekly basis, now only every 3 months and most of her therapy involves swinging and climbing up things, going through tunnels etc, followed by some drawing or model making skills

PipinJo Sun 16-Aug-09 20:25:23

Phoenix4725 Mon 17-Aug-09 09:44:04

we got told take ds to soft playhmm

tink123 Mon 17-Aug-09 20:09:09

My SIL said I should not have paid for SIT, and could have saved thousands just taking dd to park - why did i not think of that hmm

DD goes to park almost every day and on swing and trampoline every night but that does not make any difference as OT does certain things for a certain reason. I do not even pretend to understand thinking behind SIT but it has made unbelievable changes in dd's life

Phoenix4725 Mon 17-Aug-09 20:17:14

ot here is non existant were still waiting for them to come asses as ds can not a get on toilet and B sit on it safey.

Mind we get no form of ot program either just yearly reviews

Marne Mon 17-Aug-09 20:54:51

We don't get any for dd2, when i ask for an OT i just get laughed at and they refused to even see her.

Phoeix- dd1 (as) had problems with getting on the toilet too due to poor balance and low muscle tone, she's just started to do it by herself at 5.5. We also couldn't get an OT for dd1 sad.

tink123 Tue 18-Aug-09 12:46:21

When dd was at child development centre for a term, she never saw OT. We used her DLA to pay for it. It is a sad state of affair with the NHS and it is not the therapists fault either they are so understaffed. My friend is a SALT in London and there should be 17 therapists for her area. There is only 3 sad

mumgoingcrazy Thu 20-Aug-09 18:47:26

Our SIT was a sensory profile done, then deep pressure and joint compression program for 6 weeks, and Therapeutic Listening Program for 18 weeks. We stopped that in June and will start again in September. Also have to do exercises as said above, ours include the swings and trampoline to calm her vestibular.

jennybensmummy Fri 21-Aug-09 05:57:40

ours was useless, we were given suggestions of how to help bens proprioception issues and his vestibular system, trampolining, vibrating snake toy, wobble cushion, swing, bouncing on peanut shape ball, carrying backpack with some books in to "ground him", brushing/mopping the floor, hoovering etc however when none of these helped we were still discharged with a sheet that said, as the follwing have helped ben continueing these will have a positive effect etc hmm none of them did help ben. also his issues with noise, headbanging (which has resulted in a lump he has had on his head now for 18 months never gone and accounts for numerous holes in our walls!), etc
I am currently trying to liase with them about this and see if we can be seen again as they effectively have done nothing to help but are sending everyone who sees ben letters saying these things help!!! They are supposed to be done as often as needed - usually every hour or two, to calm/ground the child so they can do things ie school i guess in between, well the minute ben stopped doing the trampolining or whatever for example he carried on with the same issues he had before. All the report is random really and shows they didnt listen to much of what i said or his portage worker said to them about him, thye just made him fit their box!!
so sorry not much help am i but i can find the web address for some of the things they recommended if anyone needs them?? Ive not bought them as i am not wasting bens dla money on something that clearly didnt work when they used theres!! will hope camhs help and maybe someone will refer us back if we dont get any joy in liasing moaning to them!!
incidently this was an assessment session and 4 "treatment" sessions - waste of car park money me thinks!!

PipinJo Sun 23-Aug-09 11:02:14

daisy5678 Sun 23-Aug-09 21:00:09

J had it for a while. The initial assessment identified major sensory processing problems and also his gross and fine motor skills were poor. OT came into school to deal with fine motor skills and then saw J in clinic for SIT. Involved lots of swinging, throwing, catching, balancing, scooting (or a scooter - is scooting even a word?) and then experiments with pressure, using weighted blankets etc.

It was good but over too quickly. Not sure when he'll have any more.

Some OT stuff is in J's Statement but they have made it very vague and so I should think about getting it firmed up I guess.

jennybensmummy Mon 24-Aug-09 07:06:46

we dont have a statement - the whole nottinghamshire rubbish - applying for one soon though as he is not coping mainstream - like i said he wouldnt!!!

magso Mon 24-Aug-09 09:07:21

OOh ds ( nearly 10) is about to start SIT as our local CDC now has a room for it - though I think it will only be occasional sessions. Will report back! I hope for inspiration! We have a programme for home use such as skin brushing to desensitise etc and rug rolling, wobbly seats.

jasdox Mon 24-Aug-09 10:12:52

Took ds to see if his glue ear had cleared up, surprisingly had not changed. Anyway, mentioned his noise sensitivity (undergoing asd assessments). She was great, told me it was not physical but neurological, and the ways to help him were: - let ds control the noise if possible e.g. hoover, liquidiser etc. Try and desensitize him, by recording the noise and so he can learn to process it better - research has shown this works well as a technique. So far only tried the hoover when he turned it on I could use it, not sure i trust him with a lawn mower though!

PipinJo Mon 24-Aug-09 14:06:06

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 24-Aug-09 14:11:04

none and I'm rather ticked off. dd has SID because of her brain damage so all her senses get muddled up and she cant cope with vision and hearing at the same time, or touch, or certain sounds and gets overwhelmed then has a meltdown.
The OT who really only does her special seating suggested we put ear muffs on her. Great idea given she can barely see so relies on her ears hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now