Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD SALT provision. What does yours look like and is it enough?

(10 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Thu 13-Aug-09 16:41:58

Message withdrawn

sc13 Fri 14-Aug-09 10:36:44

Star, I think the services vary a lot from place to place. We've had the Hanen course, run by a SALT, which was very useful and included two home visits and identifying some targets. At the same time we've had home visits from another SALT, for about an hour, every two weeks or so (until about a month ago, she's gone on holiday). The SALT also went to the nursery, observed DS there and had a sit-down with the nursery teachers to tell them about things to do with DS. In early September we have a sort of review meeting with the SALT. The SALT's approach so far has been to focus on communication, rather than just language; but in September I want to discuss having at least one specific language target (like a couple of verbs) as one of the IEPs at nursery.
I'm happy with the provisions so far, also because they've been incredibly supportive and reassuring of us as parents, and what they've said has always made sense, and I can see that DS is making progress (even though I'd like him to speak in full sentences TOMORROW iyswim). My plan B, if at some point I need a plan B, is to get a private SALT with ASD experience, from the official website thingy which I have bookmarked somewhere

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 14-Aug-09 19:33:51

Message withdrawn

moondog Fri 14-Aug-09 20:15:21

Sounds fine to me.I'd be delighted if a parent was that proactive (very few are I'm sorry to say). Make clear that if they give you guidance, you will put in the work and update them when you need more targets set.

You have to accept that the service is massively overstretched and that everyone knows it nothing but a sticking plaster over a huge festering wound (metaphorically speaking!)

Pointing out that you know how overworked they are might help too.

Phoenix4725 Fri 14-Aug-09 20:22:17

way its been working here as the salt admitted she could not offer anything mor etan 3 monthly reviews.We would go through stuff that i couldwork on till next review or if hes done well would call and discuss on phone.

Here bigger the problem less salt you get.

now hes going to schoolits going to be even worse .I am thinking private to

Frasersmum123 Fri 14-Aug-09 20:52:23

Ours is a bit hit and miss - I am sure she has the right intentions but she just seems so goddam busy!

She wanted to do a joint visit with his Inclusion support worker, but she doesnt work over the holidays, so we havent seen ours since May when she bought our picture boards. Fraser is coming along without signs or symbols because we both got really frustrated with it, he is starting to understand words like 'Bed' and 'Boing' (trampoline ), so he is getting there. He has gone from 5 words to about 30 in about two weeks, but mainly because I have been spending time with him everyday teaching him the word over and over again. I hope that she will come and see us in September and I hope she wont be too mad that we are progressing, just not in the way she wanted us too.

I admire you Star you seem really proactive and your DS is lucky to have you

stillenacht Fri 14-Aug-09 22:10:33

At age nearly 6 he has had about 6 sessions with a SALT (diagnosed at 2.5 years) - low functioning although is verbal (ish) now.

daisy5678 Sat 15-Aug-09 11:11:03

J got referred to SALT (by me - the school didn't bother) after CAMHS recommended ongoing SALT to help with his social use of language.

As his vocabulary and understanding are excellent, the SALT who initially assessed him said that he didn't need any 1:1, just a programme to be done with his TA on turn-taking, conversation skills etc. - all the social stuff - and for that to be then used in a smalll group setting.

So she wrote a programme for the TA, came back to check on him 8 months later and her last letter said he'd be discharged in the summer so I guess he's being discharged hmm

He's not made that much progress, tbh, but I guess that there are children who need SALT more than J. Still, CAMHS did recommend ongoing SALT, so perhaps I'll get it put into the Statement that way as the new TA won't have had the training that the last TA had and anyway, they need new stuff to do with him, surely?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Aug-09 20:55:22

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 19-Aug-09 09:25:32

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now