Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Stimming - what does it include?

(13 Posts)
debs40 Thu 13-Aug-09 12:19:32

I'm interested in the stimming thing. DS (6) constantly licks his fingers and hands and chews things (bits of paper) etc. He doesn't hand flap or anything. Would you consider this stimming?

cyberseraphim Thu 13-Aug-09 13:32:54

If it is constant or very frequent - Yes

debs40 Thu 13-Aug-09 13:42:54

Aye, tis constant! Chews absolutely everything - including all the tassles off my Laura Ashley cushions! He's got a rythmic licking of each finger going on now - each in turn - which is very attractive smile

Do you have some professional background in these issues cyberseraphim or does your knowledge come from experience with your children? Your posts are always informative

cyberseraphim Thu 13-Aug-09 13:48:33

My DS1 is autistic and my brother has HFA. Like everyone I am learning on the job - You too will know more than every expert in the world by this time next year ! It does sound like stimming then if it is constant and if he seeks it out constantly for pleasure. Hand flapping started here (DS1 is 5.5) just recently. I'm hoping it means the string stim might die down.

staryeyed Thu 13-Aug-09 13:49:48

DS does this. He licks his hands his arms even his feet. He also licks a lot of his food. He eats tissue cardboard even carpet fibre. I would consider it stimming as he is trying to fulfil a sensory need. I have introduced DS to xylitol chewing gum as it keeps his mouth busy and helps with the non teeth brushing problem. He also has a chewy tube but doesn't use it as much as he used to. I am getting some sensory equipment from talk tools to help with this as he's gone mad with it recently.

cyberseraphim Thu 13-Aug-09 13:51:37

I'm envious of the gum chewing - DS1 calms down a lot with chewy sweets but just swallows gum as though it were a sweetie.

staryeyed Thu 13-Aug-09 13:56:34

I thought ds would swallow it too but I caught him early in the chewing and made him spit it out to get another.

debs40 Thu 13-Aug-09 14:18:41

That's interesting. I got DS a chewy tube ages ago but he's not interested. He likes little bits to chew so maybe the gum would help. Would be worried about him swallowing it and it getting stuck though!

mysonben Thu 13-Aug-09 14:22:25

DS (3.9) has been known to suck the bars of the shopping trolley at tesco, his nan's face, a wooden stick, the lid of the tube of marge, windows, and he will eat playdoh , although i suspect a lot of kids even nt ones do that! But it's not stimming in his case more of a sensory thing because he doesn't do it that often.

AS far as daily stimming , we have humming, screetching like a whistle, some quick pacing in circles (usually with a bit of humming too).

Sometimes some twirly finger movements when he 's very excited or upset, and a bit of toe walking + humming now and then!

Do new stims pop and change in phases then?
smile

HelensMelons Thu 13-Aug-09 14:39:19

Ds2's stims do pop and change. We have snorting - which has just re-emerged. Not annoying at all...... !

We also have chewing/sucking. He has a blanket that he cuddles and it gets chewed every now and again.

Finger twirly things like insy winsy spider.

Where do you get a chewy tube from?

Goblinchild Thu 13-Aug-09 14:57:46

www.bonanzle.com/booths/HeavenSentGifts/items/Chewy_Tube_Red_Oral_Motor_Sensory_OT_Autism_SPD_ASD_ne w

I've not used the company before, but I do know friends who've used chewy tubes and found them useful. smile
I wonder why they don't have them in blue though!

staryeyed Thu 13-Aug-09 16:22:46

you can get chewy tubes from talk tools in US or ebay sometimes cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chewy-Tube-Green-knobbly-for-SEN-Autism_W0QQitemZ330351769646QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_To ys_Creative_Educational_RL?hash=item4cea7ff82e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
The US talk tools have a chocolate smelling chewy that I think ds will like.

btw I made an order from the uk distributor of talk tools (re enterpise)and it didnt turn up and they dont answer the phone or call back .When I finally did get through 1month later they said they had lost distribution right in UK and only then did I get a refund. Head office said that I should order direct from US but they are having trouble with my UK address?!

HelensMelons Thu 13-Aug-09 17:15:50

thankyou!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now