Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Opposite to echolalia!

(11 Posts)
PipinJo Wed 12-Aug-09 00:17:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sodit Wed 12-Aug-09 08:03:52

ds1 (nearly 3)is not really verbal so doesnt do that but sometimes if i ask him something he will nod or shake my head for the answer instead of doing it himself. When he was very young he used to cover my eyes if something was about to happen on the T.V. that he got exited about. It like he gets confused between me and him.

misscutandstick Wed 12-Aug-09 09:06:57

Pipin, DS4 4.3y AS) does that exactly!in

Its like he says what hes expecting to hear, or what he wants to hear, like when he wants someone to apologise to him "sorry mummy" or if he wants something "you want some cake?" usually also in the intonation that would come naturally from the person he wants to hear it from. I usually just repeat it, if i dont he gets more and more distressed saying it over and over. Adding the words "you want ME to SAY ..."

I agree tho, its sometimes confusing and sounds quite bizarre!

troutpout Wed 12-Aug-09 12:54:22

So ..they are kind of prompting you to perform in the right way as part of their routine?

grin

It's kinda clever isn't it

ds went through a strange stage when he was about 2 where he would ask me to 'rewind' things (like on a video) so that he could start again. 'rewind it mummy'

PipinJo Wed 12-Aug-09 14:43:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

silverfrog Wed 12-Aug-09 16:43:36

OMG - you are describing dd1 totally!

She is incredibly controlling about everything, and langugae is just another way for her to do this.

Unfortunately, before I knew just how bad this was goign to get, I unwittingly reinforced it in early childhood when she was beginning to speak. I was so happy to get a word out of her, that of course I repeated it (eg dd1 "red!" me: "yes, red. well done. that's red" etc. As you do, of course, to encourage language.)

anyway. dd1 now has 2 levels of what I see as verbal stim.

sometimes, she wants me to repeat exactly what she has said (whatever it is, whether in context or not, and whether properly phrased or not - she knows both "I'd like some berries" and "do you want some berries" for eg, and will use both, despite knowing the "right" one for her to use.

this morning, she wanted to wear a particular t-shirt (has a shiny Mickey Mouse on it) and the conversation went as follows:

dd1: wear Shiney!
me: not today shiney, today wearing blue t shirt"
dd1: shiney's in the wash
me: yes, shiney is dirty
dd1 (upset now): shiney's in the wash! in the WASH!
me: yes, shiney needs to get clean (avoiding repeating her phrase because she was actually getting upset over the non-repetition rather than not wearing the t shirt)

and on it went, for a good hour or so. long after we got dressed and had breakfast etc. I do have days where I try to break the habit, as otherwise I find that I cannot have a conversation with dh (or anyone else!) whenever dd1 is slightly upset, as I need to just parrot phrases back to her - she definitely uses it as a comforter on some level.

then there are the days when she will hit in a phrase, usually a question one, and I don't know whether I am supposed to answer it, or repeat it back to her - often impossible to tell which to do until after I have done the wrong one!

drlove8 Wed 12-Aug-09 17:27:40

dd4 always repeats "get down, get down, get down"- when she climbs on the coffee table! lol ....it is really funny! grin

saintlydamemrsturnip Wed 12-Aug-09 18:42:33

Ds1 does it.

This holiday it is 'nee nee' (signing school) and I have to say 'yes ds1 is going back to school in September and his teachers will be x and y'

Or he says 'nayam'
And I have to say 'yes <insert name of teacher> says ds1 is a naughty boy with the washing machine'.

Or he says the name of his respite place and I have to say when he going and whether he will be having dinner there etc etc.

All our conversations are like this. But considering his vocalisations are so incomprehensible (nee/nayam/nanig/diyam etc etc) it is the only way he can have an extended verbal interaction. It cannot stray because as soon as it does I have no idea what he is saying. He still occasionally comes out with 'deedam deedam' which is 'yes we will see Steve in January or February' (which we didn't and obviously long gone - it's from last year).

saintlydamemrsturnip Wed 12-Aug-09 18:44:12

If I don't say it the word gets shouted louder and louder and faster and faster 'nee nee nee nee nee nee nee nee NEE NEE NEE NEE NEE NEE NEE'. If I say 'yes school' NEE NEE NEE gets taken up again until I've said the rest of the sentence.

But as I said he simply cannot have a verbal interaction in any other way as he doesn't have the words or speech sounds.

HecatesTwopenceworth Wed 12-Aug-09 18:45:33

Oh yeah, mine do this. I am a prop, a tool. In the same way that when they were non-verbal they used to grab my hand and throw it in the direction of whatever they wanted.

ds1 even used to take my finger and put it in his food to see if it was hot hmm

drlove8 Wed 12-Aug-09 19:32:31

pmsl @ Hecate's hot finger!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now