Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do you ever feel pressurised? What would you do?

(14 Posts)
mummytopebs Mon 10-Aug-09 21:19:11

Health visitor came out last week re dd 4.6, asked how she was doing etc. I mentioned that dd is still in pull ups on the night, she is dry but has night terrors around 3 times a week where she loses bladder control. The health visitor said to try and take the pull ups off. Well we have had 2 dry nights as she doesent wee in the night but then the last 2 nights she has had night terrors and lost bladder control. What should i do put her back in the pull ups as i know she is dry anyway or leve her without. You sometimes feel so pressurised to convert to the 'norm'

lingle Mon 10-Aug-09 21:29:52

I thought wet beds were considered the norm until at least 7?

mummytopebs Mon 10-Aug-09 21:47:31

Wet beds are the norm i suppose but she has 3 night terrors a week so that is 3 times a week so dont know if it is worth taking her out of the pull up

brokenspacebar Mon 10-Aug-09 21:52:09

I would let your dd keep her pull-ups, for your sanity and her comfort. angry at your hv, she is an idiot, feel free to ignore her advice unless you actually agree with her!

mysonben Mon 10-Aug-09 21:52:48

I would put her back in pull ups, ...until she can control her bladder when she has night terrors. Hopefully she may have less and less nightmares and then you can try again.

A well meaning nursery nurse told me at the clinic a couple of weeks ago to stop giving ds 's milk in a bottle , that he was too old for it (he is not yet 4) and that dd (16m) was too old for it too!!! shock

mummytopebs Mon 10-Aug-09 21:59:41

I do not see a problem with the pull up really she is dry on nights apart from when she has her terrors, She is around 18 months behind emotionally and socially anyway according to paeditrician so i dont think there is any hurry. You just feel like you are doing things wrong sometimes x

2shoes Mon 10-Aug-09 22:22:37

keep her in them
dd is 14(cp) and dry day and night........unless I don't put her in a pull up at night(no idea why) so who cares. do what iS best for you.

meltedmarsbars Tue 11-Aug-09 07:37:34

Health visitors are there to offer advice.

You are the parent, you listen to all the advice you are offered then make your own informed decision. If you don't like the advice, ignore it! - whether its from the HV or your mother! Thats what I do.

Frasersmum123 Tue 11-Aug-09 11:42:59

I understand totally how you feel, but as the others have said you need to do what you think is best for your child.

jasdox Tue 11-Aug-09 11:55:29

No pressure, during the day yes, but not night time. He still uses them as pants when his awake. He is not bothered that he is wearing pull-ups, when he does, i will change, but he is 50:50, and I think their are enough other things to keep me busy.

debs40 Tue 11-Aug-09 12:00:06

I went to stay with a friend at the weekend and her bright, happy, incredibly clever 8 year old son had pull-ups on of a night time. She is completely unbothered by it.

Frasersmum123 Tue 11-Aug-09 12:10:44

DS2 is 2.5 and NOWHERE near ready for potty training, but I do get some funny looks. We were on holiday last week and on the way back we stopped at a service station so I could change him. I went to use the baby change and the lady behind me muttered something about being too big etc. It makes me so angry

sadminster Tue 11-Aug-09 12:35:28

bloody hell Frasersmum123 I don't know any NT 2.5yo boys who are potty trained! (my NT dd potty trained at 2.9 & she was pretty average amongst her peers).

My son is 2.10 & even my MIL realises he's nowhere near being ready ... it is way down our list of priorities atm.

cyberseraphim Tue 11-Aug-09 12:44:24

The service station lady is bonkers - DS2 is 2.9 and just about ready now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now