Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Meeting with teacher

(5 Posts)
YogiYahooey Wed 25-May-05 19:14:39

So I went today to the school ds is going to discuss his progress etc. My other two children go there so I am known to the teacher and that makes it so much easier!!
Anyway, I explained about ds and that we have an assessment application going through and she seemed reasonably happy with the situation - can I bore you with that??
So now have to send off my letter for 31.05 and then just wait I suppose.

Davros Wed 25-May-05 21:57:52

Good luck Yogi, at least she isn't one of those "you have to do it through me and I don't agree" types. Let us know what happens.

mfh Thu 26-May-05 14:26:40

Sorry to muscle in on your thread YY. I'm glad to hear this teacher was understanding. But what do you do when they're not, and are of the "you have to do it through me and I don't agree" type that Davros mentions?

The teacher we have is lovely, but there's another one I have to deal with occasionally who isn't. I hasten to say this person is very rare for the school, and rather sticks out like a sore thumb. There's no getting round it, sometimes I just have to deal with this person. Others have had the same problem, so I know it's not just me. As I'm a bit over-sensitive and lacking in self-confidence (common problems for SN mums?) it makes it harder.

Difficult to describe the problem. The teacher knows best, any other opinion is wrong, aggressive manner, arrogant sh*t, never been known to smile. Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with people like this?

YogiYahooey Thu 26-May-05 20:28:31

Oh that is scarey, I think you are right with your description of SN mums. I said to the teacher yesterday there was a very fine line to cross in regards to information about my son. (Long story - but know lots of nosey people who couldn't give a fu12 about my son but want to diagnose him with something!!!).
As for the arrogant sh*t I usually find that if you let them think they are right they will let their guard down enough for you to feed in some info, bit like men really!!! or my other fail proof plan for getting appointments today rather than 6 weeks time - cry, works like a charm and makes them feel even more important therefore with the effect of making them relax in their superiority!! but don't quote me!!

mfh Fri 27-May-05 08:55:54

Thanks YY, it sounds like you have met this type too!

The tears tactic does work, doesn't it? it's not deliberate, mind you. I seem to dissolve into tears at a meeting about once a year. It really wakes people up.

I thought what you said about already been known to the teacher helping. Good luck with ds.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: