Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD kids and their funny language!!!

(24 Posts)
mysonben Sun 09-Aug-09 22:51:28

DS is 3.9, and had a very good improvement in his speech lately, but it does come out a bit oddly at times...

Today when we got in the boiling car, he said "oh! it's cold outside!" (he also says that when he gets out of the bath! hmm)
To which i replied "you mean it's very hot? Are you hot DS?"
He replies "it's nice and warm!" which is what i tell him when i give him his milkshake bottle in the morning!!! grin

mysonben Sun 09-Aug-09 22:57:41

DS has a fair bit of imediate echolalia, and in the way he speaks i can hear myself, and DH, and ...the lines from his beloved dvds!

Usually he is pretty good at finding the right word or sentence for the occasion, but not always... some days are better than others.

othermother Sun 09-Aug-09 23:28:09

Tom (5) said to me the other day to "turn over the pavement" when what he actually meant was for me to turn over the page.

He also adds extra consonants onto the end of words...like mumg, okayp ...

He also has delayed echolalis where he'll repeat phrases over and over some time after he's heard them (i remember doing this myself as a child, and sometimes still do - in fact I'm forever just blurting out "what's your name and where do you come from?"

mysonben Sun 09-Aug-09 23:51:24

Yes DS does that too, he has phases when he will constantly ask the same question (9 times out of 10 "what's that noise?"
Or he will say "wait for me!" and "my name is Ben" again and again. It can get tedious, but thankfully it's not too bad all the time, he has bad phases of it , then he gets better again. hmm

kittymax Mon 10-Aug-09 00:50:07

DS2 (8) has pretty good speech and often looks NT, but he constantly gets words mixed up, like early and late. He'll exclaim
"Why are you so early?" when we know he means late. There are a few other opposites that he gets mixed up - strange.

Shells Mon 10-Aug-09 02:47:54

I love my DS's bonkers language. It is really quite poetic sometimes.

'Do you want a bath?' 'Yes, Mum, the bath loves me' (instead of I love the bath).

"Can I have a square biscuit, spotty, pink?"

Constantly gets his opposites mixed up too.

jennybensmummy Mon 10-Aug-09 06:27:43

my ds told me the other day "be careful" - something i need to say to him all the time!!! when i looked at him and said why has mummy got to be careful, he said "rain is wet be careful"!!!!

jennybensmummy Mon 10-Aug-09 06:28:08

i should add it wasnt even raining!!

Shells Mon 10-Aug-09 07:07:02

Excellent. DS quite often says to me 'good boy mum' or 'well done mum'. smile

5inthebed Mon 10-Aug-09 07:08:40

MSB, my DS2 is always asking "whats that noise".

He can't seem to stop when a word has sp or ps at the end of it. He'll say shopspspspsps or crispspspspspsps. It's quite cute really.

mamabell Mon 10-Aug-09 08:21:03

My DS (5) always says "I'm freezing" when it's really hot and often gets his mealtimes mixed up - often insists he is having breakfast in the evening

Shells love the "good boy mum" made me LOL

Marne Mon 10-Aug-09 08:31:16

Dd1 (AS) likes to use long words even though she has no understanding to what they mean.

She also likes to sing/rhyme sometimes when she talks to you.

She also asks me to open the window in the car to warm her up hmm.

5inthebed Mon 10-Aug-09 09:15:19

I get "clever boy mam" as well.

Ds2 will say "I understand" at random times.

Barmymummy Mon 10-Aug-09 09:26:06

Oh yes definately here too!! Cold and hot get muddled up but has got better.

Mysonben I read alot of your posts and can really relate to them as your son does lots of things mine does/did.

What you are describing now is exactly how my DS spoke but he is now 4.2 and has come on loads. The delayed echolalia you are saying about where he is copying lines you and your DH say or heard from TV is exactly what mine did. Over time I have realised that this was a positive step for him as leading on from this has come the ability to understand what to say in what situation and then begin to use lots of his own spontaneous speech.

Look at that as a good place to start and when you think about it its truly amazing that they remember what copied sentence to use at what question/situation. It always impressed me smile

Was told by the school that reversing pronouns is very common and not to worry about that. He still gets his/hers he/she muddled up sometimes but has got better with the hot/cold etc.

When DS would give me a 'remembered' sentence in response to me I would say 'thats right' and also give him an alternative thing he could have said. That way he has cottoned on that he can vary his responses. He does still use delayed echolalia when he is playing with his toys but I do interrupt him or distract him when he is just talking to himself and repeating a line from Garfield for example. Have found breaking the 'habit' helps it not to become too ingrained. Do you know what I mean?! Until he hears something else he likes anyway wink

mysonben Mon 10-Aug-09 11:18:50

Barmymummy, yes i tis quite impressing really how they can remember phrases they have heard and applying them to the right context (well not always at the moment, but practise makes perfect![wink}).

DS often repeats imediately what we say, even when we don't talk to him, we can hear him parrot back our words in the backgroung grin
I expect that 's how he learns.

When he plays he always put in snippets of phrases from his dvds, mixed in with a few of his favourites repetitive phrases like "what's that noise?" {wink], and add to that a bit of jargon, it's so funny to hear him.

cyberseraphim Mon 10-Aug-09 12:29:11

Been is a generic negative/past tense

'We're going to Sainsburys'

'Been Sainburys"

'No We're going to Sainsburys'

'Been going to Sainsbury's'

mumslife Mon 10-Aug-09 20:20:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

busybeingmum Mon 10-Aug-09 20:33:10

Message withdrawn

luckylady74 Mon 10-Aug-09 20:41:42

Ds1 also reversed personal pronouns until he was 6. His reception teacher said that she would say 'you do' instead of 'yes I do' to her friends because ds1 said it to her all the time!I even used to misunderstand his younger nt siblings because they used prononus correctly!

kittymax Mon 10-Aug-09 21:25:47

When ds2 sees a large puddle (which he used to call a muddle) he says "its floodering". No matter how many times I say 'flooding' he just says "yes, it's floodering". He's just been diagnosed and will start speech therapy soon. Part of me will miss the way he says wadio but I know he has to learn to speak better so he can fit in better at school (sad though).

mummytopebs Mon 10-Aug-09 21:51:05

My dd 4.6 made me laugh yesterday she was singing old macdonald had a farm at the top of her voice and doing all the animal noises etc in the song, then she sang 'old mcdonald had a farm, and on that farm he had a meercat' I thought what noise is she going to do now, she stood up put her hands in front of her like a meercat and sang 'with a simples here and simples there' - like off the confused.com advert, she did the accent and everything it was class

thederkinsdame Mon 10-Aug-09 23:35:40

that made me chuckle, mummytopebs. My DS (3.2) sings 'Old Madonna had a farm...' It makes me crack up every time.

busybeingmum Tue 11-Aug-09 07:33:12

Message withdrawn

kittymax Tue 11-Aug-09 20:11:42

mummytopebs - I would so love to see her sing the meercat version, you must video her and send it to you've been framed - it's a guaranteed £250. I think that's the best adaptation I've heard about for a long time grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now