Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

CAMHS tomorrow!

(10 Posts)
debs40 Sun 09-Aug-09 11:09:02

We have just returned back from holiday and have our first CAMHS for DS tomorrow(he is 6) .

We are seeing the psychiatrist. We have no formal diagniosis as yet, still waiting to see OT and SALT but have seen consultant paed and community paed and are working under the heading 'social and communication difficulties'. It's possibly AS.

The community paed has been very supportive and has helped with school who had sort of forgotten to consider if DS needs help as he is doing so well academically.

She has also got us a fast track appointment with CAMHS. It won't be an assessment apparently, just a meeting to discuss ways of supporting/helping DS.

He has particular problems at the moment with routine (same socks/underpants/food), change at school, and having a very short fuse. He just lashes out at his little brother for nothing or for what he anticipates his little brother is doing. It's horrible to see. He really goes for him, yet he's such a quiet, happy little thing normally.Does anyone else have this?

Anyway, just looking for advice, suggestions, help as it feels really weird to be taking my 6 year old to a psychiatrist!

cornsillk Sun 09-Aug-09 11:12:14

Message withdrawn

debs40 Sun 09-Aug-09 11:18:27

Of course, we saw community paed in March and then saw consultant paed in June. Consultant paed is the 'gatekeeper' and has to authorise referral to CAMHS, so it went off then.

The Community paed then wrote a further letter in July to ask for us to be seen as a priority and we got a letter back within a couple of weeks and were offered an appointment at the beginning of August but we were on holiday.

cornsillk Sun 09-Aug-09 11:24:26

Message withdrawn

debs40 Sun 09-Aug-09 11:26:58

I think that seems to be right. Also, there is a cancellation list in our area which we agreed to go on. I don't know if that helped or whether there is anything similar by you?

cornsillk Sun 09-Aug-09 11:28:25

Message withdrawn

debs40 Sun 09-Aug-09 11:39:29

Give them a ring. I've rung around everyone just asking for waiting list times etc. It can't hurt!

cornsillk Sun 09-Aug-09 15:00:33

Good idea - I'll do that!

debs40 Sun 09-Aug-09 15:49:53

Bump for any tips!

troutpout Sun 09-Aug-09 20:23:46

good luck debs40.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now