Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ABA Programme Cost

(9 Posts)
Jen2009 Sun 09-Aug-09 09:32:50

Help please. Am bringing my husband around to idea that we will need to do ABA programme for our son. He's reeling and said last night it would really help to know how much it costs. Can anyone give me some round figures??? Anyone get funded in Kensington/Chelsea??? THANK YOU. This group is keeping me sane.

PipinJo Sun 09-Aug-09 11:09:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MuffinToptheMule Sun 09-Aug-09 11:17:25

I've just begun working as an ABA tutor so I'm only aware of the costs of tutoring, not the whole cost. I work for this family for 12 hours a week, split into 3 4 hour sessions. I am paid £7ph. The family also have a consultant who set up the programme and who will see them about once every 4 months and a supervisor who will come about every 5 weeks. I have no idea what the consultant and supervisor are paid.
Tutoring costs vary. I think the cheapest is about £6ph but it can be up to £10 if the person is more experienced.

sadminster Sun 09-Aug-09 11:50:38

We pay £500/day for our consultant (& travel) hths

MuffinToptheMule Sun 09-Aug-09 16:20:38

I forgot to add that the ABA (we're only one week in) is going very well. The wee boy is two and a half.

Jen2009 Thu 13-Aug-09 10:13:47

Thanks. This information if very helpful. \I would like imagine that i can do lots of the tutoring but realistically \i am not sure how much i can handle. still waiting to hear back from the consultants i have made enquiries to .. now that we've decided to do this, i really want to get going. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sadminster Thu 13-Aug-09 11:07:16

Hi Jen, our plan is that I do five (3 hour) sessions (& look after 2 other children including a 3 mo), dh does two (on top of working full time & freelancing to pay for tutor/consultant), we get a tutor to do two (no idea how we are going to afford this or how we're going to manage with someone as inexperienced as we are) and ds will go to a CM one day a week (in the vague hope that I can use that time to manage the rest of our lives & have some sort of relationship with my other children).

I'm not feeling very hopeful (change that to feeling absolutely desperate) but all we're getting offered is 3 hours in a sn nursery & an hour of portage a week so we don't have any choice.

mum2fredandpudding Sun 16-Aug-09 22:18:26

good luck Jen. We are 3 weeks into our ABA start (i think. it's been a shaky start but I feel like we have been doing it forever) and i have no doubt of hte leaps and bounds my DS is making thanks to it. We are pinching ourselves. Doing ABA involves thought and energy, but it is extremely enjoyable and the very many ways of doing things to help our son develop, to communicate better with him - have become ingrained in the most mundane tasks. And it is fun. I can't tell you how many special moments I have had with my DS today, let alone this past week. It is expensive, but learning to do it gives us so much direction nad relief. I am so excited about where we are going to be in 3 months.

sad - we are doing it with my 1 y.o about the scene constantly - he is sometimes an active part of sessions. DS1 adores him and their relationship is really blossoming as a result of it. It will be hard juggling the three of them, but ABA absolutely works in the natural environment, and this is hhis life. The best of our couple of tutors is not the most expensive or experienced, but is smart and all heart. She helps us and it is lovely to talk to someone every day about DS. So be hopeful becuase you absolutely can do it and im sure it will be the most rewarding thing you have ever done. It's so much fun also. (though I would say cook big vats of bolagnaise or stew or whatever in advance, becuase chores will take a backseat.

DS is responding marvellously. When a tutor arrives he gravitates towards them and starts what essentially the most positive play-session a little boy could dream for. In hte evenings when I'm in the midst of cooking/cleaning/washing clothes... etc. etc. he follows me around using all hte new words and things he did that day. And he is smiling and wonderfully tired at bedtime. It. Is. Exhausting.

sadminster Mon 17-Aug-09 09:04:18

mum2fred ... I've been hoping you'd come on & give an update

It's fabulous to hear that it is going well - I really need to hear positive stories right now.

The CM has just called to say ds is 'subdued' today which, since she is prone to understatment, means withdrawn I am (literally) worried sick about him. I'm trying to de-clutter the house/clean in preparation for the ABA consultant coming on Saturday but dd2 is not being co-operative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now