Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Art therapy. anyone used this for their child?

(21 Posts)
lisalisa Wed 25-May-05 13:16:21

Message withdrawn

lisalisa Wed 25-May-05 14:17:27

Message withdrawn

heartinthecountry Wed 25-May-05 14:24:17

One of my best friends is just doing an art therapy course - she might be able to recommend some websites or books that might tell you more about it - though guessing you'd really like people's experiences.

lisalisa Wed 25-May-05 14:31:42

Message withdrawn

flea Wed 25-May-05 15:21:59

My SIL is an ART therapist but up in Scotland .. If you want to ask me specific questions I will email her and get back to you.

heartinthecountry Wed 25-May-05 15:23:49

Oh of course! I was meaning info about what it is and how it works to help you decide if it was a route you wanted to go down rather than how to do it yourself! Sorry, probably wasn't clear.

lisalisa Wed 25-May-05 15:48:59

Message withdrawn

Fio2 Wed 25-May-05 15:59:06

my daughter does it at her SLD school, thats all I know

Fio2 Wed 25-May-05 17:21:16

sorry lisalisa, I didnt realised you bumped up one of my old threads aswell. As far as I know its about them expressing their personalitiy through art. Knowing that they have control and what they want to do happens. Develops their imagination and co-ordination. makes them more creative I suppose.

Why is your dd going to do it if you dont mind me asking? and FWIW I would give anything a go esp art therapy as I am creative myself and the joy of getting lost in your work, which is so inspiring and relaxing, is wonderful

lisalisa Wed 25-May-05 17:27:04

Message withdrawn

Fio2 Wed 25-May-05 17:40:33

sounds like it would be really good for her Both of my children have sensory problems with clothes (and labels especially) I think, from my own knwoledge, the art therapy gives them a sense of freedom. I mean from my own painting (and its never amazing art) it does relax you to another level, especially if she is creative anyway it would be beneficial in more than one way.

have you googled art therapy? i am sure there are lots of site that give great explanations, better than me. But from what you said and from my POV it sounds a really good idea for your dd

Fio2 Wed 25-May-05 17:43:07

and with the tantrums, i am sure it would make her relax more.

lisalisa Thu 26-May-05 11:11:16

Message withdrawn

binkie Thu 26-May-05 11:16:16

Lisalisa, you might be thinking of "The Out-of-Synch Child", which gets recommended frequently on here, about sensory integration problems?

lisalisa Thu 26-May-05 13:01:30

Message withdrawn

binkie Thu 26-May-05 13:15:18

Well, I think you couldn't do better than read the book - it's pretty widely available. Also quite interesting to read the mass of customer reviews of it on Amazon. Basically it's where the child's senses (not just sight, hearing, etc., but touch, balance, body-sense generally) are either oversensitive or undersensitive & therefore their ability to use their senses to orient themselves in the world is disordered. Example which rang true for me is child who cannot tell you that a toothbrush is bristly by looking at it - would have to feel it to know - and as a result of that goes through life handling, touching, fiddling, breaking - that's an undersensitive child. Think your dd sounds the opposite - but it's the other side of the same coin.

The book's big recommendation is occupational therapy, to address the physical issues - idea being if you get the child more in synch with its own senses then other, more intangible, things may fall into place too. There's a thread somewhere else about someone looking for an OT (not you is it?!) in London - might be of use?

Book also has ideas for exercises & games parents/schools could do without formal OT - eg trampolining supposed to be good.

lisalisa Thu 26-May-05 13:52:11

Message withdrawn

binkie Thu 26-May-05 14:07:36

It is hard to know, isn't it.

I don't think, though, that a child needs to fit the whole picture of "something" to benefit from strategies developed for addressing that thing. For instance, ds's sensory peculiarities aren't at all as severe as some of those described in the book, but the kinds of jumping/swinging physical exertion it recommends as OT for those children have a really marked effect on him too - immediately afterwards he's much more co-ordinated, speech (nearly!) coherent, etc. etc. (And I'd noticed this before I read the book, so it isn't as if it'd suggested it.)

lisalisa Thu 26-May-05 14:24:20

Message withdrawn

binkie Thu 26-May-05 14:32:17

lisalisa, sorry to hear that - but you are not alone, I promise you that is the norm for dhs - there are very very few who do not do instant (and then persistent) denial. It seems to be innate.

However, I have got there with mine at last. Happy to talk further off-board if you want to discuss more?

lisalisa Thu 26-May-05 14:42:16

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now