Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is there any way to encourage DD to use some sort of safe place mechanism?

(4 Posts)
Flamesparrow Sat 08-Aug-09 11:55:40

DD has AS "traits" but no official dx, and although it is NOT glaringly obvious to the world iyswim it is there.

We went away for a few days this week. Fabulous time, the children loved it, but at the same time I could see that there were times when it was just all too much for her, and I felt she needed some quiet time to just reset her system (when she is older I can see her hiding with a book to do that). I tried to convince her that playing on the DS quietly in the bedroom for a bit would help her feel more normal again, but as unsettled as she was getting, she didn't want to go away and possibly miss something.

The day that she just sat by herself for a bit with a dvd quietly she became so much more calm, it was amazing to watch.

It is the same after school tbh - she would be better if she came in and just went to be quiet somewhere, but she won't give in and it gets more and more tense.

Does any of that make sense???

Is there any way to encourage the method of taking time out to reset?

mysonben Sat 08-Aug-09 12:15:36

I do just that with ds (asd, 3.9), get him to calm down with a fave dvd, or take him to his room for a while (sometimes he does object but it does work!).

If i leave ds to it, he becomes very hyper, and his asd behaviours start to creep out, he starts stimming (vocally), he agitates his hands, he acts like a chimp on lsd winkha ha ha..., and eventually that leads to a meldown!

My parents are coming to visit in 10 days, that should be fun ! He ususally goes beserk with nanny! Won't leave her alone, constantly jumping around her, licks her,... the lot!!!

3cutedarlings Sat 08-Aug-09 12:17:50

perfect sense flame, my DD just does this of her own accord most of the time, she just take herself off.

would also be really interested in knowing if there is a way to help her learn when she needs to.

Flamesparrow Thu 13-Aug-09 10:57:21

Sorry - never got back to this.

I think we could get into major screaming fit if I try and force her into her room

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now