Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dd2 doing really well, just wanted a proud mummy momment..

(18 Posts)
Marne Thu 06-Aug-09 10:54:41

Dd2 has gone from non-verbal to 100+ words in the past 6-8 weeks grin.

We got to the point where i thought she would never talk, now she's asking me for cuddles, toys, food and she's even started playing and repeating her sister.

I know she still has ASD and will have problems with other things but it feels like a weight has been lifted. Last year she had no way of communicating, she started PECS which i thought would be her only chance of communicating with us (maybe forever) and now she's using 2-3 words together and getting what she wants by using her voice.

Lets hope she carries on making great progress grin.

Marne Thu 06-Aug-09 10:55:33

I also hope this gives others with ASD toddlers hope for the future, things can get better with time.

bubblagirl Thu 06-Aug-09 11:22:34

well done to your dd its a great feeling we had this last yr ds was virtually non verbal from 2 to 3.6 and used only limited words and hardly understood how to use words for his own needs and only used single words

one morning i woke up to hear i cant reach it and it was him no looking back since then his gone from strength to strength

so its always great to hear when someone else gets that too he really doesn't stop some days and i have to remind myself we never thought we'd get here lol inside im screaming please stop talking lol

so big high 5 to your dd grin

moondog Thu 06-Aug-09 11:24:21

Bloody hell, that is fantastic news.
In particular the bit about using 2-3 words together.

So delighted for you!!!

XXX

sadminster Thu 06-Aug-09 11:27:29

God that's amazing, you must be so happy What a wonderful achievement.

Do you think the PECS helped?

moondog Thu 06-Aug-09 11:29:15

And your ds has done brilliantly too Bubbla!

bubblagirl Thu 06-Aug-09 11:33:33

thanks moondog he was saving it all up i think then one day it came out and form then now chats too much lol but i smile sweetly and he asks why questions what, where, who with he just came on leaps once he knew what he was doing completely different little boy to a yr ago

moondog Thu 06-Aug-09 11:35:52

grin

Marne Thu 06-Aug-09 11:48:21

PEC's has helped so much, her first words were whilst using PECS, she's still using the PECS but using speech with it.

Moondog- she has started saying 'I am...' and 'I want...', and last week she said 'I am rolling play-dough'. A lot of her speech is repeating back what we say to her, i'm not sure if she always understands what the words mean but its great that she now knows if she wants something she can use her voice to ask for it.

It was great listening to the dd's in the bath this morning, Dd1 was singing to dd2 and then dd2 would sing back and they would both laugh. Dd1 was splashing dd2 and dd2 was saying 'splash, splash'. Dd1 is so proud of her sister and gets really excited when she speaks grin.

bubblagirl Thu 06-Aug-09 12:30:29

oh bless her marne when my ds first started speaking a lot was copying as he was understanding what the words meant after about 6 mths he was no longer repeating

we just verbalised everything we were doing so he understood the words to the action and now you wouldn't think he had any troubles with talking still behind his peers but so much more advanced than a yr ago his understanding of language is now his strong point

lingle Fri 07-Aug-09 12:51:30

Oh Marne I am thrilled for you.

sc13 Fri 07-Aug-09 12:53:32

That's great great great Marne, and thanks for sharing this because, yes, it does give me some glimmer of hope...

cyberseraphim Fri 07-Aug-09 13:00:33

That's fantastic Marne. I know what you mean about it still being autism but somehow more 'manageable' and lighter if the language starts. DS1 and DS2 had their first argument a few days ago - lots of shouting 'Thomas the Tank Engine' "Peppa Pig' at each other. Well it's interaction !

staryeyed Fri 07-Aug-09 13:39:26

That is fantastic Marne! How old is your dd2 was it a hard slog to get the first words with pecs? did you do any other intervention?

Ds1 started saying "milk" and "bubbles" with pecs about a year ago but then stopped again.

lol at cyberseraphims dses

Marne Fri 07-Aug-09 19:13:05

staryeyed- we started with bubbles using PECS, she also does a bit of signing at nursery, for a while she would only say 3-4 words (bubbles, apple, muma, dada) then she started to say 'please' whilst signing, this went on for a while (just a couple words) and then one day she came home from nursery and sang a song to me shock and now suddenly in the past 2 weeks she is saying around 100+ words. She was 3 in March.

Marne Fri 07-Aug-09 20:04:38

'started', trying to write and fish ITNG toys out from behind the sofa, lol.

5inthebed Fri 07-Aug-09 21:06:39

That is lovely Marne! Really fantastic news. Well done to your DD!

DS2 was the same, went from babbling to lots of words really fast. He still has far to go, his speech is still immature, but he can say 4-5 word sentences when he feels like that. He does have days though when he can barely manage a yes, and goes back to just grunting.

drlove8 Sat 08-Aug-09 00:57:43

grin amazing! well done dd! <<<<hand Marne big box of tisues , for wiping proud mummy moment tears>>>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now