Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I'm wibbling over sending DS2 to MS in September

(16 Posts)
5inthebed Tue 04-Aug-09 18:30:27

I have a fear of dread every time I think about it, and feel quite sick at the very thought of him being the odd one out. Most of the DC who will be there will already know how to write their own names, ahaving learnt it in nursery, and he can barely hold a pencil.

What if he gets bullied? What if nobody wants to be his friend because they realise he is different?

Is it too late for me to change schools so he can go back to the SN one?

Phoenix4725 Tue 04-Aug-09 18:58:50

same here 5inthebed

ds still hold in fist grip , cant write t all .Des know his basic colours but thats aboout it,hes non verbal still in nappies delayed receptive GDD .The only good thing he was at nursery with soem so they do kow him but theres lots of kids he wont know either

Phoenix4725 Tue 04-Aug-09 19:01:26

if ds not happy or learning after 2 tersm im going to call a early annual review

5inthebed Tue 04-Aug-09 19:36:55

It's in his statement to have an early review, I think it will be after the first half term. He is meant to have one every full term after that for the first year, so if he isn't coping then he can be moved.

He knows some colours (although I do think he is colourblind) and basic shapes. His speech is still very baby like.

There are a few kids I know will be mean to him, there are already a few he was in nursery with that would tease him and run away from him whenever he went near them angrysad. At least he doesn'tunderstand he is being shunned (yet)

I'm just dreading it. I'm having nightmares that he is left by himself and escapes out of school.

Phoenix4725 Tue 04-Aug-09 20:32:07

yep same here some kids just dont want to play wth him as he can not play like them or talk with them

SammyK Tue 04-Aug-09 21:14:09

Can I wibble along with you please? DS has been going to the preschool there for well over a year so 'knows' faces and room layouts, but will be in a big full class with no support (was a small group up to end of term). Has already had other child tell him he is 'slow' (running) - believe me he is not when he wants to be, 'crying again' and a 'baby'. angry angry That is one boy BTW angry. He doesn't play or share well, cries all the time, hates it. sad

I am very sceptical and won't be putting him through it if he doesn't settle, will look to home school instead {gulp}.

5inthebed Tue 04-Aug-09 21:27:41

Why will he not be getting any support Sammy sad

SammyK Tue 04-Aug-09 21:34:47

Still no official dx and therefore statement sad edpsych not even clapped eyes on him yet angry, is gracing the school with his presence last week in september hmm

DS did not like going for half a day so is really going to struggle. Also is still soiling pants and usually doesn't go at school, so his tummy troubles are going to worsen too. I have had DS 'escape' into big playground before, and under my nose ride out into main road in protest on way to school. sad

Can you tell I am dreading it?

Has your DS been at home or done some preschool 5inthebed? My DS still uses palmer grip too and actively avoids writing/drawing.

5inthebed Tue 04-Aug-09 21:58:47

DS has done both SN nursery and MS nursery with 1:1. He was fine at both of them, but that is because he was only half days and with a bunch of 3/4 year olds.

He is going to have full 1:1 in MS, and his 1:1 is lovely (the same as he had in nursery), but I am still full of dread for him. Developementallyand verbally he is like a 2 year old.

I can understand why you must be dreading it though!

Phoenix4725 Wed 05-Aug-09 04:45:42

5inthebed sounds like your ds is similarto mine except for the verbal bit as ds is non verbal relys on makton.

Ds is still in nappys so worrying they are going be some teasing which atm he won`t understand.Hes already going to be theyounget with end of July birthday.

Know going to have problems with at least one mum who removed her twins from preschool due to there being to many special need kids.

5inthebed Wed 05-Aug-09 07:16:05

DS2 is 4 on Saturday, so will be one of the youngest as well. Luckily he is out of nappies, but only just!

That is terrible about that mum, how rude and precious is she!?

SammyK Wed 05-Aug-09 07:56:51

5inthebed it's good he has a 1:1 he knows, that will really help.

I know what you mean though, it is hard isn't it as they are so 'young' emotionally and communication wise. Mine is old for year, 5 in October and the size of a 7 yr old, but more like a highly strung 3 yr old. The kids know he is different and although most of them are kind to him, there is aa couple in the class that have already noticed what upsets him and do it awating his reaction! angry sad DS generally doesn't want to play 'with' children (games and toys) but I know he likes to run aorund with them and often tells me he feels sad and lonely.

Pheonix that is terrible what an awful role model to her own dts! Bet the teachers breathed a sigh of relief as she left! It is shocking but people like this are around, I remember somone on MN doing a thread along a similar vein. angry

5inthebed Wed 05-Aug-09 08:32:38

DS2 is the size of a 5 year old, so always get funny looks when we are out and he has a toddler meltdown.

I hate kids who tease others, especially those who tease children with SN angry. There are twins in DS2's class, and whenever they see him they scream "It's ds2" and run away from him like he has some sort of awful disease sad. They will be in his new class as well.

vjg13 Wed 05-Aug-09 08:45:29

My daughter who has GDD went to a MS school for just over 1 year. She was in a class of 17. She was in nappies when she started but they then decided she had to be out of them by the end of the first half term hmmwhich she did manage. In all honesty we left her there far too long with it being unsuitable for her. Each day the teacher always wanted a word and it was very stressful waiting for that. This was 7 years ago and the school was not used to children with SEN. The other kids in the class were very caring to her but the parents were a very different story angry it was a high achieving school and they felt their 4 year olds were being held back.

I think trust yout instincts, see how your child is getting on and have a back up plan.

vjg13 Wed 05-Aug-09 08:47:33

Sorry if that seems very doom and gloom it was just our experience. smile

5inthebed Wed 05-Aug-09 09:34:30

Not doom and gloom at all. You're just telling it as it is, why sugar coat it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now