Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

can an autistic child make up rhymes?

(10 Posts)
tiredmummyoftwo Tue 04-Aug-09 18:20:07

I have been noticing DS (ASD, just turned 4)for last couple of months using nursery rhymes to make up his own little song. He also uses normal cbeebies songs and makes his own song for example, yesterday he was singing dance dance dance come on dance with boogie beebies, come on dance with boo and me. I have accepted his diagnosis in my heart and not questioning it anymore, but I don't ever remember reading anywhere that they can also play around with words. Has anybodyelse's child done that? What does this mean?

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Tue 04-Aug-09 18:24:27

Yes

ds1 in fact is rather good at it

After all, rhymes follow a formula don't they?

Indeed, I've at best a lot of AS traits (coulod get a dx for sure Ir eckon) and am actually damned fast at changing the lyrics to suit rhymes- bit of a party trick.

It means a talent with words- a great thing, and something not impossible for as / asd kids.

moondog Tue 04-Aug-09 18:37:16

Yes they can do. Autisitc children are all different.Just like everyone else. smile

mumslife Tue 04-Aug-09 19:35:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marne Wed 05-Aug-09 13:00:39

dD1 AS loves writing poetry and songs, she's also good at making up stories grin.

WednesdaysChild Wed 05-Aug-09 13:50:48

Yes mine always loves it, especially likes to play around with place names.

flyingmum Wed 05-Aug-09 14:04:08

Yes does it all the time. Gets him in to trouble because he makes up names for people (nothing rude) but then they get upset.

WednesdaysChild Wed 05-Aug-09 14:15:13

Sung to the tune of Balloo Bare Necesities song in Jungle Book....

If you look under the rocks and plants, you just might find your underpants... grin

WednesdaysChild Wed 05-Aug-09 14:16:23

(spelling!) {searches for a Smacks Forehead emoticon}

tiredmummyoftwo Sun 09-Aug-09 09:20:02

Hmmm, DS has started singing about people too. I obvioulsy have not read enough about ASD. Today DS wanted me to play with him and I said not now as I was feeding DD. He responded by pushing DD and I could not stop shouting at him. His response? quickly hugged me and gave me lots of kisses and said please come with me upstairs and play. Again, I would not have thought this was possible if all the internet stuffs are true!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now