Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Got a NT boy who is DS1's age round today & it is proving very hard work due to DS1's poor interaction skills

(4 Posts)
pinkchampagne Tue 04-Aug-09 11:11:30

Have got him until 3pm while his parents are at work & I feel it is going to be a very long day. DS1 has had strop after strop because they want to do things that he doesn't. The boy (2 weeks older than DS) is playing with DS2 (6)rather than DS1 because he is better company for him. They want to play out the front but DS1 will strop because he wants to go out the back & there is no give & take with him. They were collecting elastic bands & Ds threw one of them into the road in a strop because they are not doing what he wants. He has also had a crying fit because the boy apparently used the phrase "you are big & ugly enough to do it yourself" & DS took it literally. The more he strops etc the more he is making himself a bullying target, but what can you do?
Forgot to mention that DS is being assessed for AS but we have no dx yet so I still find him very hard to understand at times.

Minniethemoocher Tue 04-Aug-09 11:22:58

Hello pinkchampagne, you have my sympathy! Playdates with DD who has an "informal" diagnosis of ASD are a nightmare. I normally give up and put a DVD on...blush

What about making something? Biscuits? Fairy cakes?

pinkchampagne Tue 04-Aug-09 11:41:02

Have managed to encourage them to go on the playstation for a bit now so we will see how long that lasts! It is always hard work when I have this boy round as he is quite a grown up streetwise nearly 10 year old so total opposite of my DS1. I often get asked to help out in school holidays as I work in a school & don't feel I can say no as I know she struggles to find childcare.

pinkchampagne Tue 04-Aug-09 11:42:41

Would make something but am waiting for my shopping to be delivered as have nothing in after my holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now