Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD and having nightmares, just after falling asleep.

(8 Posts)
brokenspacebar Mon 03-Aug-09 21:31:17

Has anyone had this experience with their dc?

I hardly ever post here, and we don't have a diagnosis (I namechanged, was Aefondkiss). My ds is 5 now, has a provisional "asd traits" tag given by the consultant paed, we have ados test booked for the near future.

My ds seems really happy going to bed, we leave the light on, he sleeps fairly well now, after going through a disruptive year or so.

About an hour after going to bed he wakes up sobbing, big fat tears rolling down his face, it is heartbreaking to see, he will maybe say something but is just very upset, he will settle back down and go to sleep quite quickly, but it is worrying and getting more frequent.

Has anyone any advice, or ideas about what I can do?

jennybensmummy Tue 04-Aug-09 10:59:21

sorry no advice as we keep having issues like this too, i was worrying it was bens melatonin doing it but not sure, going to ask camhs about it when we see them in september i think! ive tried to stop it by giving ben a task as he is flling asleep so last thing he is thinking is positive, he holds a teddy and has to tell it about...... (something weve done or something that makes him happy) he usually falls asleep gripping teddy so im presuming he falls asleep mid story?! would that help?

sodit Tue 04-Aug-09 12:08:55

ds1 is 3 in a couple of weeks and he does this . he cant say what is wrong but it only ever happens when he doesnt have an afternoon nap. I put it down to him being overtired. Maybe he falls into a deep sleep to quickly as when he wakes up he seems a bit confused and looks like he doesnt really know where he is. Havent really got any advice but i try to get in his room as soon as possible as the less upset he is the easier he is to settle.

mumslife Tue 04-Aug-09 20:05:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sphil Tue 04-Aug-09 21:53:28

DS1 (8) frequently does this. He has no dx, but is about to be assessed for dyspraxia and has definite AS traits. We have had some success with a book of 'meditations for children' called 'Starbright' by Maureen Garth. No idea if you can still buy it - someone (with a DD with AS) gave it to me. It's not the sort of thing I would have bought normally - bit slushy and soppy - but it seems to calm DS1 down and stop the 'buzzing brain' syndrome. It would be suitable for a 5 year old, if his understanding is good - and even if he didn't process it all, it's quite soothing just to listen to the words. Our babysitter read it to DS1 last week and was still floating when we got back!grin

brokenspacebar Wed 05-Aug-09 22:29:06

Thanks for the responses... I think the whole calm/versus very active or excited mind thing strikes a chord, I will try and think about more calming stuff.

jennybensmummy Thu 06-Aug-09 07:12:46

what puzzles me when my ds does this is he has no imagination so when he is scared its of reality, he sees things that arent there, very odd, anyone had that in the night??

mumslife Fri 07-Aug-09 20:04:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now