Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

childcare & child/working tax credits????

(13 Posts)
anonandlikeit Mon 03-Aug-09 16:39:57

After a rather frustrating "computer says no" type conversation with the tax credits people I was just wondering if everyone is in the same boat??

Before DS2 was at school fulltime the tax credits were easy, we used a (fantastic) registered childminder for DS2 & declared all her details on the tax credit form.

Now he is at school he doesn't use a childminder at all (I work school hours) But during the holidays I have to find childcare.
Suddenly sending ds2 back to a childminder just didn't work..too many changes, he wasn't familiar with her etc.
We tried over easter holidays & it was a disaster for everyone.
So now I use a combination of my mum & my young cousin who knows ds2.
I am paying my cousin as otherwise she would find a holiday job (she is at uni) & I would be without childcare

BUT because she is not a registered childcare provider I cannot claim anything back.

So my new declaration has gone from childcare c osts of about £75 per week to £0.
& i recon when i get my new figures through I will be repaying ££££££.

Its crap, I live in a rural area where childcare is hard enough to come by & no consideration is given for childcare for a disabled child where special provision may need to be made.... to sum up... its bollocks & I know we will be out of pocket again.

Has anyone found a loophole???

anonandlikeit Mon 03-Aug-09 16:41:34

OOPS SORRY!!!

lou031205 Mon 03-Aug-09 17:12:51

Your mum could register with OFSTED and have another child on her books, then you could claim the TCs.

lou031205 Mon 03-Aug-09 17:18:40

Or could you book your DS in for 1 day per week after school so that he is used to the CM?

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Mon 03-Aug-09 17:18:49

Anon <<hugs>>

Know what you mean about the SN kid bit, why do they do that (because carers allowance is cheaper is the asnwer, btw)

Write to them and insist on moving your status to the current year, we do that and notify them of changes as they happen so we can't overpay. Normally its done a year in lieu but that can cause issues

anonandlikeit Mon 03-Aug-09 17:20:40

Its a nice idea Lou, but my mum is 71 & only fills in the gaps when my cousin can't or picks the boys up from school if I have to work late. Any more tires her out, although she would never admit it.
Also there is my Dad who is 80 & not that fit, so there is no way my mum could think about registering.
Its more that we have to use someone that comes to our house rather than ds2 have to get used to a new environment all the time iykwim.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Mon 03-Aug-09 17:22:48

If we culd have a Nanny it would not only be much cheaper (with 4) but make work feasible due to the ds1's asd. So I know exactrly what you mean, and it really is an anomally with the system

anonandlikeit Mon 03-Aug-09 17:27:10

Have thought about booking him in after school once per week, but she ahs other children after school, it's her busiest time.

It worked before because during school hours she had just ds2 & a baby & then she would take him to school at pick up time where she would hand him over to me when I collected ds1.

Thats part of the problem during the holidays there are her own 2 children, my 2 ds's plus another one or two throughout the day, just all too much for ds2 in an unfamiliar routine & environement plus physically to take him out she needs his w/chair as he can no longer squeeze in to her double buggy.

anonandlikeit Mon 03-Aug-09 17:29:27

Thats it Peachy i need to be able to claim for my cousin as a nanny.
Never though about the carers allowance bit, but surely I wouldn't be paying tax then so they would loose out... Bastards the lot of them.

lou031205 Mon 03-Aug-09 17:44:00

Could your cousin register with Ofsted? A string for her bow? The childminders/nannies section has a few people who are ofsted reg. but nannies.

anonandlikeit Mon 03-Aug-09 17:50:36

I'll have a word over there, I have a feeling there are loads of hoops to jump through but i'll ask.

lou031205 Mon 03-Aug-09 19:03:52

Not too many, paediatric first aid course, CRB, knowledge of childcare.

anonandlikeit Mon 03-Aug-09 19:16:00

Thanks Lou, I ahve asked over on the CM thread & will look in to what is involved.

She is (I believe) already CRB checked as she is training to be a PE teacher at UNI & has just finished a placement at a SN school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now