Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is there an alternative to CAMHS?? Had enough!!!

(6 Posts)
blossomhill Mon 03-Aug-09 13:09:53

Dd is nearly 10 and has AS and Adhd. Having problems with her medication and to put it mildly CAMHS are being as helpful as a chocoloate teapot. Is there anywhere else I can go???

siblingrivalry Mon 03-Aug-09 14:41:32

Has she got a paediatrician? I think your GP could refer you, if CAMHS are being useless. I won't get on my soap-box about CAMHS -I would be here all day! Let's just say that we also found them to be less than helpful hmm
My dd is 8 with AS.

mamabell Mon 03-Aug-09 15:46:25

Funnily enough we got a letter through the post today from CAMHS saying they couldn't offer any help for our DS (who is 5 with AS). I laughed at how useless they have been.

Our paediatrician has been more helpful than CAMHS so I agree with Siblingrivalry to try that route.

Good luck with getting something sorted.

streakybacon Mon 03-Aug-09 16:20:05

They're pretty crap, aren't they? Every now and again I hear of a really good CAMHS team but there as rare as hens' teeth, I reckon.

We went for a private psych in the end because CAMHS repeatedly refused to trial meds for ds. Costs an arm and a leg but at least there's someone competent overseeing his case now grin.

trace2 Mon 03-Aug-09 18:01:37

touch wood our cahms as been great with ds who AS they have got us in touch with groups salt, play therapy inclusion services even told us she would give us a letter to help get respite, and even helped with dh depression.

cornsillk Thu 06-Aug-09 00:01:54

streaky bacon who did you see?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now